SELLERS BEWARE

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by richrod, Dec 23, 2013.

1. richrod

richrod

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, Gruv Gear, Analysis Plus Cables, La Bella Strings
    The below listed is correspondence I received from a guy
    His email is: :edit: mod removed

The correspondence I had with him didn't sit well with me, he wanted to pay via Paypal and have me send supposedly to a US address so that his friend could send it to him in France.

Well needless to say it didn't sit well with me so I canceled the transaction. So be in the look out for this guy!

Rich

Hello,

I do not know what is a verified PayPal address. I admit to not be very Paypal as well.

I therefore propose to give you a direct deposit from my bank to your bank. Thus, the transaction will be with any doubt.

I just need you to give me your bank details for the transaction.

On the delivery address, my friend lives in Florida (so it is CONUS).

This reassures you there as well ?

Are you ok for the deal ?

Let me know

Pascal

2. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

Um....sounds like a guy in France wants to buy from you. Being in Canada I have stuff shipped all the time to a friend in the US. When you won't ship outside CONUS people do what they have to do. Putting an alert out on this guy is way outta line.

3. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Although I fully believe in trusting your gut and doing what feels right,
    I've also been the "guy in France". I moved to Greece (from New York) several years ago.
    I found TB through a classified ad for a bass I was looking for. I payed the seller through paypal. He shipped it to my Mom's house in NY. I then had someone ship it to me from NY.

Also, here in Europe it is common to purchase things buy directly depositing money into someone's account. Using credit cards/atm cards for payment or paypal is not as common.
    You can do many major purchases from online retailers by electronic direct deposit as well as paying your phone or utility bills. I know it's not at all common in the States,
    so it may seem VERY strange and send up red flags if you're not aware.

I'm not saying you should sell to him, but there is a possibility he is legit. Again, do what you feel most comfortable with.

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I've done several transactions where I've shipped out of the country. But, if the person has just recently joined TB, no feedback, no real input into the forum (except for maybe posts in the classifieds), then I won't do any transactions with them. That also goes for those that are located CONUS.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. baba

baba

This doesn't look sketchy to me at all. If he wires/transfers money to your bank I don't see where your exposure is. All of the risk is on his end.

Go for it. So far nothing questionable has happened.

Also, you calling him out at this point is completely out of line. You may want to just delete the thread, or at least the name if you want to leave it open for discussion.

7. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

+1 I have done international bank transfers with people from around the world for $10,000 to 100,000.
    Business's do international back transfers for millions and billions dollars every day.

It is much safer than your stupid Pay Pal

8. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

cancel the transaction, delete this thread, and have a great time trying to sell your gear to a bunch of broke American Xmas shoppers. i would ask for further confirmation on the Florida address! get their info, google the resident, call them, skype 'em even. get them to e-mail you a "Letter of Intent", then a receipt of goods upon delivery. have him pay for the fastest mode of delivery, also! i'm sure there are more "fail-safe" options so you anxiety is lessened. gl :)

9. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    I agree with you. Seems sketchy and I would have cancelled the transaction too.

10. namuxtree

namuxtree Supporting Member

i have had international sellers request this as well and it went smoothly...not to say that will be the case every time but it seems like the buyer was legit. (didn't ask for a 3rd party to hold onto the cash or western union or anything like that)

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Half of the US sellers complain when you want to buy out of the 48, the other half complains when you want them to ship to a US adress. What are we supposed to do ?

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Keep your Frenchy paws off our gear.

You'll get brie stains on it.

13. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jazz Ad, this one is part of the top half...:rolleyes: And probably the bottom to.;)

14. mcnach

mcnach

The guy offered to do a bank transfer... So what's wrong about that?
    It's the safest for you and unsafest for him. Where do you see a scam? :rolleyes:

You just lost a sale, that's all.
    Nothing unusual about wanting to use a US friend as middle man when buying from Europe... when you have the chance. I've done it several times myself, in fact.

15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Take the Brie and compress it over your head. :p

16. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Waste of good brie!

Seriously, SWIFT bank transfer is how international business is conducted. Be aware that if his funds come in his currency then you will be hit with exchange costs. Your bank will clear your funds in their own sweet time, not swiftly. Talk to your bank's business staff, not retail.

17. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

I gotta admit I don't get the American fear of dealing with "foreigners"....fear what you don't understand? Part of what I really dig about this whole internet thing is that it's a world wide thing. I've dealt with Finns, Danes, Brits, French, Dutch, Kiwis and Aussies all without incident. Y'all aren't really gonna want to hear this but the few issues and annoyances I've had have all been with Americans. Go figure, eh?

18. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    It's not really a fear of dealing with foreigners. It's mostly a combination of PayPal / shipping only to a verified address and a pain in the butt to do all the paperwork for international sales versus shipping to CONUS addresses. Throw in additional opportunities for problems - taxes, duties, customs, additional carrier hand offs and it's not worth the hassle.

Most items shipped are pedals - too low of a price to deal with the paperwork, speakers - too heavy to ship overseas, amps - if it's not digital, too heavy, and basses - depending on where you're shipping to, there are issues with maximum dimension of the item you can send.

Then there is the fact that there is a huge market in the US and you really don't need to sell to anywhere else. Basically, the seller has to *want* to sell to an overseas buyer. I've sold/shipped internationally and my rules are simple - I won't ship to a third party, I won't lie on the customs forms, you have to give me a little extra time to ship.

19. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I dont mind shipping out of CONUS but it goes like this.

* First off dont talk a person down. If I am going through the trouble of sending it to another country , you are paying the full price posted.

* Any amount to ship a bass over $50 your paying.

* If the bass is to big to ship I will take the neck off if its bolt on, that means I am keeping the hardcase ( if it has one) and no I am not discounting the instrument because I get to keep a case because frankly I dont want to keep a case I usually dont have use for.

If a international buyer makes it easy for me I will ship to them but if they want to lowball me and have me cover shipping they can keep dreaming. I have a great feedback score here and also they are get a way better deal even after all that if they were to buy it in their country.

20. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    Most of the international buyers I've dealt with have been cool. But there have been exceptions that want you to ship a $40 pedal for free to Australia or want to compare what a company charged for shipping. The company has shipping already baked into the price plus, I don't have a shipping department.

21. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

Paypal has verified addresses only in select countries. Most countries' people won't have a clue that that is.

In central Europe a bank-to-bank transfer is the standard way of doing transactions. Including on Ebay.