Selling my Genz / Bag end rig and going to a combo?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by voodoobassist, Apr 6, 2014.

1. voodoobassist

voodoobassist

So tell me if I'm nuts for considering this. Current rig, Genz 12.0 into a Bag End D10x-d 4 ohms, other side of the Genz pushing a Bag End S15X-cus, 8 ohm. It's slightly wider and deeper than the s15x-d, better low end.

I'm considering picking up a Genz Contour 210 and running it with the bag end 15, yes I know, don't mix speaker sizes, yada yada...The pairing of the BE 210 and the 15 have been working great, it's just that the BE 210 is soooooo damn heavy!

I've recently bought a PA and having to haul it and my bass rig is definitely a chore. I've kept it as light as I can, QSC K12's and a Soundcraft digital mixer, but still need to add a sub. I could sell my Genz 12.0 and the BE 210 for 900 locally, buy the Contour and have money left over towards a sub for the PA. I'd be lessening the load of my bass rig by over 30 lbs, not a lot, but every bit counts when you're loading out after the nights gig.

I'm wondering if I'm going to miss the extra headroom of going from 975 watts down to 500. The music we're playing is medium loud rock/funk, rooms are usually no more than 150-200 person capacity. I know I'd be losing some tone shaping, but honestly, any tone changes usually come from my basses pre and adjusting my playing style/attack.

So what say ye wise brethren of TB? Keep my great sounding rig, or roll the dice and save my back and make Sunday morning a bit more pain free?

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Have you actually tried running two BE 2x10s? Have you tried running two BE15s together? If you have not then perhaps you should be less dismissive of the mixing drivers sizes issue. :scowl:

As always, two cabinets will sound "bigger" than one. Two differing cabinets may work well with each other or they may not. Remember that what YOU are hearing on stage does not necessarily translate to what your audience is hearing out in the room. The only way to know is to actually try the combination and listen to it off stage.

3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Add two subs, use 2x10 combo as a monitor just loud enough to hear what note you're playing.

4. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Itzayana

Itzayana

But then everyone else on this planet is nuts too.
    However, most people just don't know it.

7. voodoobassist

voodoobassist

To answer, yes, I've run 2 S15's and have run the 210 on top of a 410. All the combinations sounded great, including the "mismatched" 210/115 setup. And yes, I've listened to several other bassists running through my rig while I sat in the crowd.

In an ideal world where money was no object, I'd probably go with a pair of GK Neo 212's and a Fusion 800 head. In reality world though, I'm looking for what would be an affordable solution to help a 60 year old aching back and still be affordable and cop a decent tone. I play mainly for the enjoyment now, unlike when I played for a living for almost 30 years. I just don't want to spend all day Sunday trying to recuperate from the Saturday night gig! :rollno:

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    If it sounds good, it is good. However, sacrificing modularity, for me, is a non-starter. How about a smaller micro head and a couple of light matching 112 or 210 cabs?

OK, Captain Obvious here, but...Combos provide traps. If one driver goes, trapped. If the amp dies, same. Need more power, stuck—got to sell it all and find a whole new rig. Want more speaker area? Maybe one choice—maybe. Want to upgrade? Got to sell it all again. Want to load it in your car? Heft the whole thing in at once. Want to carry it down the street? It all goes in one hand, rather than a 4 lb. box in your gig bag and a ~30 lb. or less cab in one hand and your bass on your back, leaving a hand free to open doors.

Sound? Sure, Markbass CMD 102p, CMD151p, Mesa M6 212, GK-MB212-ii, etc., but they are not cheap and as a package are heavy. IMHO. :cool:

9. wave rider

wave rider Supporting Member

Keep everything, buy a hand truck.

=wr=

10. KJung

KJung

Keep the head, dump those nice but boat anchor cabs. There are many nice cab options that would sing with that head in a much smaller format. One good option, two Bergantino HD112's would most likely be killer for you in a much smaller format... fat, smooth, wide, powerful little boxes with more true low end.

Combo's.... meh. That particular combo.... double meh.

11. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Lol Hey he asked...... And yeah I know I'm nuts..... :)

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

But that's the reason why God created Sundays!! :)

13. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

I recently did this same thing about two years ago and am very pleased. I used to haul around this 810 with a pro 3 head and was sick of the size. I still have it in our practice space. But now I've gone to two combos and am very happy. Sound, ease of transporting, having a two amps is great for back ups . 700 watts into 410 and some gigs I only take one for smaller stages. I would be more concerned if I was you about using different drivers. I originally thought about getting a 150 with a 15. It sounded great, till you got about 30 feet away and it became really muddy.

Attached Files:

14. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Supporting Member

i think you would miss the sound of the cabs much more than the extra headroom. I use the Church's Contour 115 combo and it sure does not sound as good as my Streamliner 900/Accugroove Tri-115 rig but it does get the job done. The Contour gets pretty crazy loud.

Dan K.