Selling my Musicman 115 RH ? Would you?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by urb, Dec 10, 2012.

1. urb

urb

First off , this is not an ad . This is a post asking for advice. I bought this cabinet in a multi purchase deal for 30 bucks off of CL. It is beat up looking but sounds great. Someone wants to give me 150$ for it. Common sense tells me to sell it , but I am having a hard time letting go. WWYD?
  2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

My personal rule is... if I think I'll actually use a piece of equipment, I keep it. If I'm pretty sure I'll never really use it, it gets tossed back into the pond.
  3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

My rule of thumb is "If I sell it will I have a problem finding another one?' that Musicman stuff is not for sale often and they made some great stuff. I would get it restored and keep it but on the other hand Slowgypsy makes the most sense.
  4. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

I think both of those rules are important.

As cool as those cabs seem to be (never had a chance to play through one, but I do have a 65-112 guitar combo that's pretty rad), if you don't think you'll use it on a regular basis, go ahead and sell it, make a nice profit, and let the cab go to someone who will presumably use it more than you would.

I think it's good for gear to stay in circulation so it can find it's "proper" owner who will love it and take care of it and use it on a regular basis. Although when all these (currently) 50-60 year old dudes who have all the best gear of the 60s and 70s stashed away in their romper rooms finally die and their families sell everything off, there's going to be a huge flood of interesting cheap vintage gear out there for the taking. But by then who's to say what kind of condition it will be in and whether or not it will be usable/fixable?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    My rule is that if I can make money on something that I know I won't use, I buy it and sell it at a profit. If you don't think you will use it, sell. If you need the money, sell. Otherwise, keep it.
  7. craig.p

craig.p Supporting Member

If that's the cab I'm thinking of -- the one that looks some bastard progeny from a Saturday night no-pants romance between a vented cab and a scooped bass bin from the 1970s -- I'd evict that thing based just on principle.
  8. ko stradivarius

ko stradivarius Supporting Member

Have you played one?
    I have one a friend gave me for free thats in pretty decent shape. I played my streamliner through it at a gig recently and thought it sounded pretty good.

If you have the logo it seems they are worth their weight in gold and nearly impossivle to find. The last set I saw on ebay went for around $80. Im missing the logo on mine but im not paying $80 for one.
    That said if someone offered $150 for mine Id say goodbye to it.
  9. Alivefor5

Alivefor5

Used a pair of these, a Music Man 130 head, and a graphite neck stingray for years. Some of the best tone ever. If it sounds good and you like it, why move it? Hard to replace.
  10. craig.p

Yes sir, back when they were shiny new and everyone was gaga over them for about five minutes. I found it boomy, uneven, and indistinct. I really did try to give it a chance, but I finally walked away with an expression on my face sort of like this: :rollno:
  11. ko stradivarius

ko stradivarius Supporting Member

I hear you. Its definately not a cab I would pay a lot for but if'n I was a youngster with no budget it would do the job. Im only out $20 on mine for some new grill cloth. :) ill keep mine just because I may need to use it as furniture when I move.
  12. craig.p

Hey man, for free I'd take one and re-port the thing and brace it and line it and turn it into a Little Monster.

Great avatar, btw. I still remember Larry in the 2-ton with the PA horns bolted to the cab roof, driving like a maniac.
  13. theretheyare

theretheyare

Depends. Throw a P-bass through it with the proper Music Man tube head and it carries for days (though you might not hear it on stage, they definitely do in the back of the room...) I LOVED it when I had one, but that was for a specific purpose: a 60s tribute band that was supposed to look and sound vintage, and played on spacious stages.

However, nowadays with jazz/improv-like things going on in tiny rooms and storing gear in a 4th floor walkup apartment-no way.
  14. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

I had one of these cabs in days gone by. I sold it but wish I didn't. They are a bass cab. Really. Leo hit a home run with these.