Seminal Videos

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bucephylus, Dec 26, 2013.

1. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

I thought it might be interesting to start a thread to capture particular performances that are available on YouTube which have had a major impact on the art.

Of course, this is somewhat subjective, but could also be an interesting list of references.

I'll start with this one. I vividly remember seeing it when it originally aired. I had been playing for about 4 years and had mostly checked out the British Invasion bands, being somewhat uninformed about the American roots in Blues and Jazz. So, it was Beatles, Led Zeppelin,Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis, and King Crimson. Big time fan of King Crimson still. Anyhow, this show aired and it just completely turned my mind around. Made me go back and re-examine a lot of R&B, Blues, and Jazz that I had not understood.

Anyhow, enjoy:):
  2. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

3. bucephylus

Great! I remember my parents squawking about how their hair was too long, my thinking that they sounded pretty good.
  4. bucephylus

So, yes, obviously the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. Launched the British Invasion.

It might be good when you post your link to say why the performance was important. What barriers it broke down or what new element it brought to the music.

I probably should have done that with the RTF/HH vid. For me that launched what we later called fusion music, but also re-established the talent and heritage of American artists while significantly extending the voices and interplay of the musicians.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bucephylus

That's it?:eek:
  7. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
  8. bucephylus

9. bucephylus

sem·i·nal
    ˈsemənl/
    adjective
    adjective: seminal

1.(of a work, event, moment, or figure) strongly influencing later developments. "his seminal work on chaos theory"
    synonyms: influential, formative, groundbreaking, pioneering, original, innovative