1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Sending bass demos to record companies

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by thereallime, Feb 20, 2013.

1. thereallime

thereallime

I wanna send my bass demos to record companies to see if they can find me a band or artist to play with. Is this a good idea? How should I go about doing this? I am in a band but established bands or artists are always looking for new musicians. Is there like a craigslist for already signed musicians looking for new bassist? Thanks for replying..,

2. staindbass

staindbass Gold Supporting Member

i dont think they would be interested. they are looking for full bands. a talent agency might be better. if you are a pro with stage experience, maybe send it to some management companies.

3. nysbob

nysbob

You can do it if you enjoy wasting your time.

You are far better off just networking and looking for a band or situation that better suits your taste and talents. The recording industry is in a shambles - don't look there for any solutions.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    It's a very hard circle to break into. Best bet is to hit all the open mics and network, network, network. Take fill in/sub opportunities and keep on networking. Play as much as you can. Word of mouth speaks volumes. If you're really good, somebody will tell somebody about you.

By the way, record companies do not solicit anything directly. Unless you 'know' someone, you have to go through an entertainment lawyer or company.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nysbob

nysbob

In my experience, job #1 for most record company folks is not getting fired today. :D

7. phmike

phmike

Trying to get a position in a band is as much about being seen as being heard.
    And as mentioned above - networking is essential.

8. thereallime

thereallime

Ok networking locally that's actually another question I have. I would love to get a reputation around here as a bass player I'm not trying to be best I'm just trying to get out n play since my band is on hold looking for a new singer I need to play live I need to lay down some bass. I have the itch so best bet is showing up at open mics and talking to people? How to I find people who need a sub even if its for a one night show I just need to get out and do what I'm born to do.

9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

DWBASS is right.
    You wont get anywhere with your approach, not even talent agencies.
    Word of mouth, (networking) is the only way I ever found work.
    You have to know musicians and they will refer your name around.

10. nysbob

nysbob

And you have to be damn good for that to even work. :eyebrow:

11. Mushroo

Mushroo

Also you should be helping other people make connections too; referring guitarists/drummers/singers/etc. (even other bassists) for work. It's a two-way street, don't just be in the game selfishly for yourself is my advice. It's called "karma" and the people you help will remember you when they or their friend's band needs a bassist. :)

12. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

Your best bet is to try and meet producers in your area who can hire you as a session player. If you gain a reputation as a good and dependable session player, then you will be in people's minds when they are setting up bands.

13. the_stone

the_stone

Your profile gives very little detail on your musical background and level of experience (maybe fill it out a bit more?), so with nothing else to go on but your question, I would also add that if you're looking to sub in bands, you need to be proficient at multiple styles of music, be able to learn and memorize lots of tunes quickly, have good sounding gear, know how to dress in a tux and play background music for a 75th wedding anniversary one night, then wear all black for a cover-band gig playing for a corporate retreat the next night, then dress in your best "cool stage clothes" the next evening while backing a blues singer of dubious talent and picking up the tunes from watching the guitarist's fretting hand.

Basically, what your asking is "how do I become a professional?", and the answer is to become the most complete musician you can become by constantly putting yourself in situations that require you to perform at a professional level. Also, attitude is as big as (and in many pro situations, bigger than) how you play - the guys that work the most are also the guys that people love to be around and play music with.

14. thereallime

thereallime

Thank you all for advice