1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Sending my Smith to Pat Wilkins

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smithplyr, Dec 19, 2012.

1. smithplyr

smithplyr Supporting Member

Sending my Smith bass to Pat Wilkins for a total refinish, Bought the bass unknowing it had been refinished until I recieved the bass.
    Was a pretty crap job on the finish, Runs in the finish, Still tacky to the touch.
    Had to up graded the Electronics,volume knob was not working right,The bass had the 9volt system,Stayed with the 9volt but ken modified the electronics so that I now have the Dip Switch settings.
    Beware of what your buying don`t be affraid to ask quetions, I was told by the seller(Which I don`t have to Mention any names they know who) they didn`t see a problem with the bass after contacting the seller, Well Hell why is my thumb sticking to the back of the neck???, I tried Naptha and buffing it out, But still the same, Finish was tacky over the entire bass.They would have known by just playing it and the fresh smell of the new finish, Have done some high dollar deals here on TB and I guess I had a bad one this time.
    I gave up and have spent alot on this bass to make it right, But It should be as a new Smith when Pat gets done with the refinish, Great guy to deal with,After speaking with him, found out he is from Northern Va!!!!,The great state of Va!, I will post some pics of the completed bass when I get it back from Pat in a month or so, Have read nothing but great things about him and his work.
  2. iwearpumas

iwearpumas Supporting Member

Why not send it to Ken Smith himself?
  3. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Developer: iGigBook Sheet Music Manager
    Ken Smith would be my first choice, but maybe he contacted Ken and things didn't work out?
  4. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Mrs. 9mmMike sent one of my P-bass bodies to Pat for a beautiful Vintage White paint job. Pat turned it around fast and the work is excellent. Good guy.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Would Ken even do it? He's pretty hardcore.
  6. smithplyr

I contacted Ken, His price starting at $2000 +, Pat is the best on the Market and I don`t have to give my First Born!, I have all trust in Pat, The bass will be as good as new or even better than what the Factory coulddo!!:D
  7. laneline

laneline Supporting Member

I've dealt with Pat on a guitar body he finished. He is an outstanding guy firstly and based on my Tele body you will soon forget your initial bad start. His workmanship is second to none.
    He sprays for a lot of high end builders. Sorry to here your rough start but you're in for a great end result.
    Happy Holidays and please post your "new" bass when completed.
  8. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

Wise choice. :D

What finish are you going with? :)
  9. Flabass

Flabass Supporting Member

Before pictures?
  10. Drocdbase

Drocdbase

Here's another + for Pat, about a year ago I sent my refurb Jazz to him for a refinished and he did an "AWESOME" job is such a short time frame. I also have a Smith and would not be afraid to send it to Pat for a refinish if needed. Here's what he did for me

Attached Files:

11. smithplyr

Pat only uses Nitro and a Poly finish, Im having the Poly finish put on the bass.
  12. smithplyr

I will post some pics later today of the finish on it now!
  13. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Developer: iGigBook Sheet Music Manager
    $2,000??? Say What? I don't blame you for going elsewhere.
  14. mindwell

mindwell Supporting Member

Subscribed. Interested to see those pics.
  15. Franz Jr.

Franz Jr. Supporting Member

You can't beat Mr. Wilkins! Fast, fair, and the best in the biz. I have a great finish guy in my back yard but Pat will always get my business.
  16. smithplyr

Pics I have of the before bass does not really show the problem, If you were to look at it you would say whats wrong it looks good, But!!! when you pick the bass up is when you really can tell what and why I sent it out to Pat.
    I will post pics of the finished job in about 4-5 weeks when Pat sends it back to me,The finish was just a joke on this bass, Tacky to the touch and the smell of new finish would hit you as soon as you opened the case and you could smell it when played.Of coures the folks that had the bass before me did not know anything about it, I think the bass was sprayed to make it look better for sale purposses!, Yea right!!!, Well whats done is done, I know who to buy from and not!, Just going to be more careful the next time,Lot of dishonest people in this world!...............
  17. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

:eek:

That's just crazy.
  18. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    aka - I really don't want to do it but don't want to be the meany that the forums call me and say "no". ;-)

Condition really should be disclosed up front, not if you ask I might tell you. Pat will definitely do a great job. Who would do a rattle can refin on a Smith??? Ugh.
  19. belimad

belimad Supporting Member

+1 for Pat. Had both a fender and a Ric refinished by him, outstanding work and super professional.
  20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    When it comes to finishes, Pat is always my go to.

Pat is a super nice guy, extremely talented and his work is legendary.

Wilkins endorser.