Serial nr. puzzle..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Karlis, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Karlis

Karlis

Hi!

I got myself a Squier JAzz Bass, made in Korea with serial nr E1010118 and I can not figure out, is it means that the instrument is made in late 80-s or early 90-s ( 91? ).
    There is a lot of any kind of information in the web, but.....

Do You, guys, have any idea?
    Thanks,
    Karlis
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

How certain are you it is Korean? Fender's guide does not list any E serial numbers but they also admit it "does not offer complete reliability." The only E serial number bass I had was an early 80's Fender while CBS still owned the company, it was an 82 Elite, pretty far from a Squier. I do not know how far Squier goes back but I would guess it is pre-90's.

http://www.fender.com/en-CA/support/articles/korean-instruments-product-dating/
  3. Karlis

Karlis

Hi,
    it is written on the neck - Made In Korea.
    But, yeah, it is pretty complicated to understand what is the year of production since there is no record of dating Korean Squiers before 1993, as I understand.
    Wiki says - "S/E: The S and E serial number prefix Korean Squiers are from the late 1980s/early 1990s." So i guess it has to be somewhere there.
    Nice instrument, nonetheless, and I got it really cheap from pawnshop - 75 EUR...;)
  4. funblefinger

funblefinger