1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Serial Number Secrecy????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jk3, Aug 14, 2008.

1. jk3

jk3

I've been thinking about it and i just cant figure out why people selling guitars/basses online wont just say what the serial # is...

"the serial # is AE34XXXXX..."

are people worried that the identity of the bass is going to be stolen?
    anybody have any insight as to why you would want to do this? or am i not crazy and this is stupid and there is absolutely ZERO point to protecting your serial #s?
    :confused:

2. JazzyJames

JazzyJames

Not much point. Everyone on TB is pretty trust worthy and would specify everything about the bass that's necessary.

3. Tsal

Tsal

Maybe people are afraid that their bass might have been stolen at some point of the history before it was bought by them, and they would lose theirs to the rightful owner ;)

4. GlennW

GlennW

Maybe because there are some nosey people in the world. And because the complete serial number isn't anyone's business unless they buy it.

A while back I listed an obscure bass on ebay. I bought it disassembled and put it together using the parts that came with it, it was complete (I replaced the tuners because two of the originals were broken)...after a year or so I put it on ebay. A guy wanted the serial number so I gave it to him; then another guy and I gave it to him. Then they turned into complete assholes acting like they knew more about the bass than I did. One guy saved the info from the ebay listing from when I bought the bass. The other one accused me of lying about the pickups and using parts from anywhere I could find them. Neither of these guys had ever seen the bass in person. It creeped me out...felt like I'd been spied upon. Long story short, there are people who have nothing to do but gather info from ebay listings and follow their paper trail. I politely told them how prickified they were and blocked both of them from bidding. And this was a cheap bass from the '60s...maybe there's a cult that follows the brand.

Since then, only the buyer gets the complete serial number from me. I'll gladly supply enough of the number to date it, but not all of it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric Supporting Member

Its stupid to post the whole serial number because someone can get it, report it stolen, and go "Hey look, I found it on eBay."

7. ROON

ROON

There are just over 100 thousand users registered on TB, I wouldn't say that everyone on here is trustworthy.

Without any proof of purchase, I highly doubt they would get a bass given to them for simply saying their "stolen" bass had the same serial.

8. Spiritfield

Spiritfield

What kind of proof of purchase would they need? A handwritten receipt from a now out of business dealer? I'd think an enterprising thief could come up with something like that. At the very least it could muddy the waters and cause the rightful owner some heartburn.

9. GeneralElectric

+1

10. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Yeah they don't necessarily look for proof of purchase. I keep a record of all my serial numbers incase of theft which worked out when my pedal board was stolen, but when I reported the stolen items with serial numbers in the description, I was never asked for proof of purchase. I even offered pictures but they declined saying it wasn't necessary.

People will go to extraordinary lengths and I wouldn't put it past someone to come up with a crazy way to screw you.

11. silversport

silversport

The flaw in this is they could make the number up anyway...take a number they saw at Guitar Center and subtract 10 from it, etc...it is like covering up your license plate...if it is a privacy issue, more power to you but anyone who wants to report my bass, my car or anything else as their own, better have a better receipt than I do...just a thought.

Bill

12. jk3

jk3

yeah, i guess its just a CYA kinda thing.
    thanks for the feedback.

13. GeneralElectric

Not really, they usually ask for some description of the item. (Its a red bass etc) That'd be kind of hard to do just pulling a S/N out of a hat.

14. silversport

silversport

GE,
    True but can you cite any cases of this actually happening???...I can't...just my point of view...not saying you're wrong or anyone else is wrong...I'm jus sayin'...:D
    Bill