Serial numbers Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rusty2867, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Rusty2867

Rusty2867 Supporting Member

Is there a site or something to decifer Fender serial numbers? I mean I found on their site how to figure the year but what about model and such?
  2. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Supporting Member

I don't know about all the modern models, but if you're talking about vintage Fenders, then no.. the same ser. # plates were used on all models of guitars and basses simulataneously, so approximate year is all you get from the ser. #.
  3. Rusty2867

Rusty2867 Supporting Member

Thanks I was looking for 95 and up.
  4. audreycashin

audreycashin Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

.. no

.. just post a picture and ask on the thread ... there are some of us that really don't have much of a life and can pretty much tell you everything you need (and may not want to) know about your modern era Fender basses ...

.. the most common inquiries are component and bass legitimacy ... but we can date them quite closely for you as well ;)
  7. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

I find the early '70s serialization utterly baffling. I have two P-Basses with TV logos and bass-side thumb rests. One is Serial 509xxx. According to the above link, it's a '73 or '74. According to Fender.com, it's a '73. But the neck is stamped early '76.
    The other bass is Serial 623xxx. Guitardaterproject calls it a '75, Fender says it's a '76 but my local Fender dealer/collector/tech said the components date it to late '73.