1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Series 10?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by markj123, Mar 10, 2011.

1. markj123

markj123

I bought this bass from an old band member for $60 and it was the best investment i ever made i think it was made by a company named Bentley but im not for sure it sounds amazing if anyone has any info on this would be awesome.

Attached Files:

2. TheSuzie

TheSuzie

You got a total steal if it is like mine. My Series 10 had a street price of around $300 new in the early 90's. The design is loosely based on the Tune Bass Maniac but totally passive. I'm pretty sure they were distributed by St. Louis music in the USA.

Edited: actually yours looks a bit different than mine. Maybe a later model. Similar but not the same. Your bass looks not to have 24 frets. Do you know if your bass was made in Korea?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sadly I have to sell mine. I oiled the fingerboard years ago and now I am allergic to the bass.

Peace,
    S

3. Nobody

Nobody

My first bass was a purple crackle Series 10 exactly like yours. I got it new for my 15th Birthday in 1989. So it's a late 80s model. That's all I know. I didn't have it long because I got distracted by cars.

4. markj123

markj123

it was made in korea mine also has a pick up switch to flip from the front to the back i love the bass ill def hang on to it i think that the body styles and looks are supposed to be modeled after bigger name brands

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

I'm glad you like yours, but I had a Series 10 Beatle Bass in the '90s was el stinko. A flimsy toy with weak pups, sloppy workmanship, strings that would fret out. A waste of money.

7. amimbari

amimbari

ya I had an 91 eclipsePRO crackle finish,
    [​IMG]
    and still have a 2290 and 2295 matched pair made in 1989
    [​IMG]
    as well as a 1987 and 88 before they went to the beakhead:
    [​IMG]

that black series10 bass is at the luthiers for a repaint to white with matching head since he had to fix the crack anyway ( thats why in the pic it has 3 strings ), adding a jackson j40 HB where the JJ is, a jackson p jackson preamp and a kahler bridge. ( I got a lot of spare parts around here ;) )

the bass has a body made of 16 layer plywood typical heavy and before i cracked the head it had a normal p-bass deep resonant tone. the pickup swap, pre and different bridge will turn it into another 80's machine for my collectibles.

I have a Kramer 710 plywood, and the series10 sounds pretty much the same. I wouldn't use either for noise-free studio recording..lol.

p.s. the guitars are nothing special either considering what you got for 199.95 back then.

8. TheSuzie

TheSuzie

I have always wondered if they may have used different suppliers for the different instruments. There is a lot of variation in the designs even between the similar models.

BTW: I bought my bass new in 89 or 90. It was out of my hands for about 1.5 - 2 years at one point till I bought it back.

9. amimbari

amimbari

the violin bass was made from 93-95
    that silver one is a MASTER bass 91-93..they also made a 5string version.

10. TheSuzie

TheSuzie

Are you saying my bass is called a Master? I never knew that. I guess I was off by a couple of years. I lost the original receipt a few years back when I lost my home.

Thanks for the info. You are the first person who actually has a few details about these instruments.

Peace,
    S

11. amimbari

amimbari

Suzie, my info comes from an old catalog. when I saved it some of the pics didnt transfer, and the online catalog is long gone, but I'm positive that your silver one is called a Master from the description of features.

12. amimbari

amimbari

I finally got my Series 10 2290 bass back. in post #6 it was black it was broken.

not any more :)

so my cheap junk korean plywood unit is back together. The luthier did a hell of a nice job cleaning it up, adding the parts I wanted and repainting it. It is now a "keeper" for sure.
    It was passive p/JJ, now it is active p/HB using my Jackson parts, including a spare Jackson bridge.

sorry for the quick cameraphone pic.

hard to see with my cameraphone, but the neck is 1 piece/scarf joint like my charvels and has a really nice flamed pattern on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. alexofc69

alexofc69

I had the same exact one!!! I got it after high school for a metal band i was playing in. I picked it up at the local music store an the action was perfect and it was light. I put EMG pickups in it. Got rid of it a year or so later and got a Fender Precision Plus. Yes, they were made by Bentley which I think was part of Saint Louis Music Company.

14. amimbari

amimbari

that's BENTLY, not Bentley....

15. amimbari

amimbari

hey gang, I just picked up another series 10 lefty in red
    [​IMG]
    this one is very clean, same year/headstock and will go right along with my white one :)