1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Series Parallel Preamp question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Marcus Willett, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    OK, so I'm generally a passive pup kinda guy; most of my basses have Villex pups, tho I do have a few others.

Got a new project I'm working on that I wanna put a preamp in just for variety. In the past I've used Bartolini, EMG, Demeter, Aguilar, Lane Poor and I'm sure some other stuff I've forgotten about.

So, here's the thing. I've got a couple 4 string Jazz Basses that I have wired for series/parallel (passive). In one case a push/pull pot, in the other a switch.

Anyway, in one of them I want to install a pre, but I want to preserve the option of series/parallel which I like a lot.

I'm assuming a preamp that has the pickups summed before the pre (e.g. Aguilar) and just has the EQ section would be fine since the signal (either series or parallel) is sent to the pre the same either way.

So for preamps like the Bart NTMB, or any other where there is a pre-wired (or even just loose wires) harness that includes a volume pot, blend and some kind of EQ....is there a way to make a pre like that setup for series/parallel, and also for active/passive? And, ideally keep the passive tone in all settings, but definitely at least for the passive ones.

The idea being I want all 4 options.

1) Parallel, passive...regular Jazz
    2) Series, passive...beefed up Jazz
    3) Parallel, active...modern Jazz
    4) Series, active...modern beef...?

Anyway, my gut tells me the only real way this can work is with a pre that is basically just the EQ section, ala Aggy or something like that.

Am I missing anything?

TIA
  2. line6man

line6man

All pickup selection must be done before the input of a preamp, unless you have a special dual-input preamp, but that is usually very rare.
  3. Marcus Willett

Disclosures:
    So I'm correct in assuming any pre that is designed with an integrated volume/blend would not work for what I was laying out?

(this was my hunch, just wanted to check)
  4. line6man

line6man

No, the volume/blend wiring is irrelevant to the preamp. Most preamps have only a single-ended input and output. It's up to you to decide what controls to wire in.
  5. Marcus Willett

Disclosures:
    OK, lemme try this from another angle.

How (since I can't get a reply from Bartolini) would one wire an NTMB in the manner I have suggested?
  6. line6man

line6man

If you want both a blend and a series/parallel switch, you will need to use a 3PDT mini toggle for the series/parallel, as the blend needs to be bypassed in series mode.

Otherwise you can do a standard VVT series/parallel scheme, minus the tone control, and add an active/passive switch.

I'll draw a diagram if you want it.
  7. Marcus Willett

Disclosures:
    That would be fantastic, thanks. Can PM you my email addy or you can post it here for communal education if you prefer.
  8. line6man

line6man

9. chapito

chapito Supporting Member

Line6man,
    Do you know if a series/parallel switch before the Preamp would work with an Audere JZ3 Vol/Blend? (there is only access to NeckPU+- and BridgePU+-)