1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Series/Parallel with Kill in the middle

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by llldino, Jan 10, 2013.

1. llldino

llldino

Hey. I'm going to put a series/parallel 3-way switch on my jazz bass. There are several diagrams online showing how to do this but they are all for 2 way switches. I want a 3 way switch where the middle is a kill switch (an off switch if you will):

Up pos - Series
    Center - Off
    Down pos - Parallel

I assume I need a DPDT with a wire for the center position grounded or a DP-Center off switch. Not sure what the difference is. Help is appreciated. :)
  2. line6man

line6man

You can use a DPDT On/Off/On, but there may be a concern for hum in the "off" position, as you will have a big coil of wire connected to the hot. It shouldn't be an issue if the output impedance from the pots is low enough, but who knows.
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

If you use a 3pdt before volumes, you won't have the hum issue.
    I'm not sure if there are on-off-on 3pdt though.
  4. T-34

T-34

They do exist.
  5. llldino

llldino

Bumping this. If anyone has access to schematics that would be appreciated.
  6. line6man

line6man

7. llldino

llldino

So the toggle (DPDT) would have six soldering positions, like the piece above the vol pot in the diagram? I'm still a little confused. I want a 3 way on-off-on, so would that also have 6 positions? Like I said in the op, I would like series/off/parallel, but I could settle for a 2-way series/parallel if the other way isn't possible
  8. line6man

line6man

The wiring is the same, as the pin layout is the same for mini toggles as push/pulls, and you're just using a DPDT On/Off/On switch instead of a DPDT On/On.
  9. llldino

llldino

Okay, thanks a bunch for your help. I didn't think a 2-way and a 3-way switch would have the same pin configurations, but I won't ask questions.
  10. Jazz Ad

With a 3pdt you do the same, just you rig the signal from the neck on the 3rd channel. This way in 3rd position pickups are completely disconnected.
  11. line6man

line6man

DPDT On/Off/On just means DPDT On/On with a third position that doesn't connect anything.

No, it would be preferable to short the output rather than leave it open. The load of the pots provides a finite impedance at the output, but a direct short is the best was to ensure the least amount of hum possible, as the output impedance will approach zero.
  12. Jazz Ad

You're right, it is a better and simpler approach.
  13. Cadfael

Cadfael

Just an add on ...

You find the "DiMarzio Dual Sound" and "Ibanez TriSound" wiring (small difference) in theorie chapter 3.7.15 of my compilation.
    Because of the schematic diagram you see, that both wirings are possible with an ON/ON, ON/ON/ON and ON/OFF/ON.

The ON/OFF/ON does what the TE wants.

Please have a look at chapter 3.4.4 as well.
    There are the mini-switch namings as I found out.
    Please let me know if you think/know, they are wrong (best with quotation).

I have named the double ON/OFF/ON as DPCO ...