Set neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by I am Soma, Feb 25, 2014.

1. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

Hey everyone,
    So I've played nothing but bolt on or neck through basses but I've got my eye on a set neck bass. Anyone with experience or pros/cons with a set neck?
  2. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman

I like my set neck Gibson Eb 2013
  3. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

Lol I'm actually looking at am eb 14 :) heard the necks are really nice but I've got no experience with how they handle setup and whatnot
  4. GretschWretch

GretschWretch

Sometimes necks can be set badly at the factory. Check how the outside strings, E & G,
    align to the fingerboard edge. Also check to see the fingerboard does not "rise" over the body. Sometimes the glue causes this. And of course you cannot adjust the action by shimming the neck.

But except or one fretless Gibson Ripper (glue rise), I've experienced none of these problems with my set necks.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

I currently have 3 basses, 3 guitars, and a mandolin with set necks. No problems with any of them. Setups, truss rod adjustments, etc., are just like any other bass. The only real problem with set necks is the possibility of the neck coming loose in the pocket, and needing a reset. With a well made instrument that hasn't been abused, that most often takes a few decades to happen. Most Gretsch guitars from the '50s-early '60s, for example, have gone 30-50 years before needing their necks reset. And some still don't need to have it done. Are you planning to keep yours for the next 50 years? ;)

Seriously, if the one you want is a well made, quality bass, by all means get it, and enjoy it. You'll also be able to join in the endless "discussions" around here about which neck type is best from two of the three sides. :D