Seth Kimmel #25

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by NickyBass, Jan 13, 2013.

1. NickyBass

NickyBass

[​IMG]

Most of my free time is spent playing this instrument, but I wanted to take a minute to first, share my good fortune to own this bass and second, to share how extremely pleased I am with every step of the process. This will be the instrument that I will play for many many years to come.

Seth was a joy to work with. He answered every question thoroughly. Before I placed the order, there was a week or so when he was out of the country, and he still answered every email with detailed answers. He explained every available option and how they would affect the tonal outcome. I felt confident that he understood my tonal goals, and I knew that he had the knowledge and talent to build it into an instrument.

While he was building it, he sent pictures often and let me know where he was in the build process. His timeline was dead on. I have dealt with some (electric bass) builders who would take over a year past the stated build time. Seth delivered the bass exactly when he quoted.

I had the bass delivered to my work address. The end of the year is always busy, so I only took it out of the case briefly to check it out. An hour after work, I left for an orchestral rehearsal. This was really the first time I played the bass, and I felt as if I had been playing it for years. It knew what I wanted and how to respond, but most of all, it really let me focus on making music rather than focusing on making the notes speak. It has a nice volume and nice projection. The top end is smooth and sweet and overall it is very full and powerful.

The construction is flawless and there are a lot of fine, classy touches in the carving and contouring.

Having a C extension is new to me, and I am really enjoying it. The low C speaks very clearly and it is HUGE.

It's funny, after the first time I played it, I wanted to email Seth and let him know my thoughts....but, I just couldn't find the words. The best way that I can express my joy with this bass is to play it often...and that is what I have been doing.

More about the instrument: (taken from the appraisal from Seth):
    The top is of straight grained spruce in two pieces cut on the quarter. The grain is medium width. The two piece carved back and the sides are western maple cut on the quarter. The back is book matched and has uniform medium width width flame of high intensity with mirrored knots at the top. The sides are of matching wood. The scroll is also of western maple with similar flame. The varnish is red brown over gold. The string length is 41 1/2 inches. The instrument is equipped with a c-extension.
    The dimensions across the back of the instrument are as follows: Body length: 44 1/2 inches (45 3/8 with button). Upper bout: 19 1/2 inches. C- bout: 13 5/8 inches. Lower bout: 26 1/2 inches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz-Benz Amplifiers
    Beautiful bass! I'm an admirer of Seth's, and I've considered ordering one from him when it's time for a new bass. Congratulations, Nicky!
  3. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Wow, that thing is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing your story (and these great photos!).
  4. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Mmm...that's an absolutely beautiful bass - congratulations! ;) The shape and the FFs are perfect.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jsn

Jsn

Drool!
  7. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Disclosures:
    I might be up that way next month. I'd love to catch up and visit your bass if we both have time.
  8. marvin spangles

marvin spangles

Beautiful bass . Enjoy!
  9. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

Really pretty!
  10. NickyBass

NickyBass

Sounds good. Just let me know. You're always welcome.

Thanks for all the nice comments, guys!
  11. jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Build-shots are the best. Lovely instrument!
  12. Champagne

Champagne

Looks like a strunal bass. Did they copy Strunal's design?

i am kidding! Nice instrument :)
  13. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed

Congrats on your new bass! A friend of mine owns one of Seth Kimmel's basses also. It's a very nice bass; easy to play, articulate, powerful, and it has a very earthy tone (best way I can describe it, haha). Have fun with it!
  14. crowsmengegus

crowsmengegus

It sounds like a football?

Joking aside, Kimmel is awesome. I can't say enough good things about his work. Congrats on your new bass from the owner of #16.
  15. timmarks

timmarks Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, D'Addario, Mesa
    Beautiful bass--congrats
  16. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed

Bingo!

If anyone understands what that means....yes, the Kimmel basses sound like footballs!
  17. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Disclosures:
    Nicky, it looks like I won't be in the area in February. Maybe not until the Spring. Did you play one of Seth's basses before ordering? Which model is this bass?
  18. NickyBass

NickyBass

No problem, Jeremy, just let me know when you are around.

I played a ton of different instruments (old, new, carved, hybrid, all price ranges), and decided that I wanted to commission a brand new instrument so that I could personalize some of the specs. I saw and heard some of Seth's instruments, but I didn't actually play one. It is the Milanese model.
  19. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Gold Supporting Member

Think I saw this one at his house. I am working with him on a new unique design as we speak. What a great guy! Get yours now because he will be able to double his price soon!
  20. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

If it's not too much to ask, what did you pay for this beauty?
  21. NickyBass

NickyBass

Send me a PM and ill give you the details.