Setting action on my American Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Knavery, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Knavery

Knavery Supporting Member

Hey folks -
    I took my Fender American Jazz to GC and had them set it up. IN the store, it was awesome, but once I got it home, it buzzed pretty bad. I have very little knowledge with setting my own instruments up, but have the Stu-Mac string gauge and all that.

The problem I'm having is that I get a little bit of buzz on every string even with the string height at around .090 and .100. Actually at .100, the buzz isn't too bad.

I have two questions.

1.) Is this normal action for a bass? As a guitar, I find it to bit a tad high. And I've had other basses with much lower action.
    2.) Do I use the same height for each string? I'm measuring from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the string. They are roughly between .090 to .100.

Thanks!

2. pfox14

pfox14

Sounds like it was not set up properly. Shouldn't be buzzing with action that height. G string should be lower than E. The action should be gradually higher from high to low strings. Action could be raised some more, especially if it gets rid of the buzz.

3. Knavery

Yeah I'm looking on Fender's website and there's a guide regarding height for treble and bass side. They actually say it should be higher than it currently is... I shouldn't have gotten rid of my Lakland.

4. rfslick

rfslick

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pedroims

pedroims

I do my own set up.

a) Set the neck. I use a capo in the first fret, press the last fret and mesure the space between the top of the 8th fret and the bottom of the E string, the gap should not be more than .013 or a business card. If higher turn the truss rod clockwise, if gap is less turn the rod counter clock. Turn the trus rod slowly, 1/8 at a time.

b) Set the action. Use the capo in the first fret, measure from the bottom of the strings to the top of the 12th fret. I like around 3/32 on the E string, and 1/16 on the G, I radius the A and D.

c) Set the intonation.

d) Set the pickup height. I usually use the builder suggested height.

7. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

I'd just raise the saddles, or even switch to a higher gauge string set, before messing with the truss rod. The rod tweak is the last resort imo.

8. Knavery

Yeah that's what I did. I found a nice video on Youtube. This old guy that had been working for Fender and other various guitar companies for 40 years said to go with 4mm with the E, roughly 3.5 with the A and D, and 3mm with G. It seems to work better. There isn't a lot of flex in the neck, but it's ok for now.

Thanks for the help. I think I may just do my own setups from now on. If I'm able to set it up, and a schooled tech can't, something is wrong there.

9. Turnaround

Turnaround

Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto

The trussrod should be the FIRST adjustment to be made. Once the neck relief is right you can go on the the other settings.

10. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Correct to a point. Almost impossible to get proper action without proper relief. However, the tension of the strings will alter the relief so it will have to be adjusted again.

11. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

Buy stuff before turning a wrench?

12. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

I think the rod should be the first thing you adjust...only if you're adding relief to the neck. You only have so much play left if you're tightening.

What the OP might be saying, is his neck is now too straight, so much that he has to raise the action just to play it without fret buzz. It will likely bow forward a little bit(just enough) over the next couple days..assuming that he had just taken the bass home with him. I say just raise the saddles for now, probably lower them back a great deal, once the neck settles forward.

13. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Wrong.