1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Setting Goals?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by JPSixx52, Jan 16, 2013.

1. JPSixx52

JPSixx52

I'm just starting out, been playing about a week. I'm using the website Studybass.com as a guide and supplement since i can't spare the dough for a teacher right now. I'm trying to take it slowly through the lessons and then after practicing them for a while I move on and work on learning a song or practicing previous things I've learned on the website.

My problem is I feel like I don't know where all this is leading or what my goals should be. I have plenty of free time. Usually 4+ hours a day I can dedicate to practicing. Overall I guess I just feel a bit overwhelmed.

2. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

I'd set some simple but concrete goals to start with.

Like maybe:

Week 1-4 work on develop good technical habits. i.e strict alternation between fingers on plucking hand, straight wrists, some sort of system for left hand, either 1 finger per fret or whatever suits you and etc, etc.

Week 4-8 Learn Major, Minor, Dominant Arperggios in all positions, inversions etc. etc.

That's what I did when I started back and I think it's helped me focus my practicing and playing.

3. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Disclosures:
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Learn to play some songs, have some fun..till curiosity kicks in.
    Then you will look for answers to why you play the way you do an why some things sound great and other don't....then you are on the road to set goals and learn more.:)

4. JPSixx52

JPSixx52

Thanks guys, this should at least help me get going in the right direction

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Print this off and see if you can use any of it. I believe there are certain fundamental things we need to get under our fingertips before we get too far down the road. Take the following in sections, and as henry2513 said, set realistic time limits to have 1) the section understood and then 2) to be able to play it on your bass.
    Print this off, break it into sections and study it a little at a time. Set realistic goals to understand and then play these items on your bass. Bass Burgers. Eat enough to satisfy your hunger, but, take little bites so it does not make you sick.

Have fun.