1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Setting up an F bass BN5

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nonsqtr, May 23, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Hi all, for you F bass users, how do you set your action? Specifically on the G string? I've been having trouble getting my G string to behave (don't laugh), that Hipshot bridge can be a pain to set up sometimes. I'm getting a lot of buzz on the nut (seems to happen only on the G string), and taking the action up or down doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. My thinking is that the nut buzz should go away with lowering the action, do you agree? It only happens on the open string, when I fret the first fret it doesn't seem to buzz, at least not nearly as much. Do I need a new nut, or what's going on?
  2. nonsqtr

Anyone? Anyone ever heard nut buzz from their BN5?
  3. FaBu-

FaBu-

I know nothing about anything, but I just thought that could it be that the "gap" (don't know a better word :meh: ) in the nut is too wide or something....?
  4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Nut slot is just too low. you need to fill the slot and cut it again to appropriate height.

Some bone dust and thin CA glue to fill the slot then, with a 0.045 nut file, you need to get the slots at an height where the string will clear the first fret (by 0,3 to 0,5mm) when depressed at the 3rd one.

Peace,
    JP
  5. nonsqtr

Someone suggested baking soda and Super Glue. What do you think about that?
  6. JP Basses

JP Basses

better use the nut material dust. Bone on your F bass right?

JP
  7. nonsqtr

Yep, bone. Where can I get bone dust? And what's CA glue?
  8. JP Basses

JP Basses

lightly sand the tope of your nut with 400 grit. You should have sufficient dust pretty quickly.

CA glue is superglue.

Peace,
    JP
  9. nonsqtr

Well, here's a wierd one. Installed a set of MTD strings, and the problem disappeared. Maybe those D'Addarios are just too floppy. I can still get some buzz if I pluck the string really hard, but the MTD's seem to have a little more tension, and that little bit seems to be just enough to make the problem tolerable. I'm going to leave it this way for a while, and see what happens after a week or two. Meanwhile I'll see if I can find some bone dust.
  10. BIg O

BIg O

Hey nonsqtr - you might also mention this to George either in a private email or in the "Ask George" section of the F Bass users group. F Bass User Group
  11. nonsqtr

Thanks Bob, I'll do that. By the way, did I mention that this bass sounds totally awesome when it's dialed in?