1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Setting up for slap on a Birdsong shortscale

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by darthbatman, Sep 24, 2013.

1. darthbatman

darthbatman

Hey TB

So I'm getting a really plunky sound when I slap on my 31" scale Birdsong. This has one of those top-load or string-thru hipshot bridges. I'm stringing through body as per builder suggestions...

What I'd like is to get more of the fundamental smack and less of the sound you get when pressing down past where the fingerboard ends.. if that makes sense lol. I don't think it's a technique thing because I have a pretty quick drumstick-like attack. It's just... not quite the sound I want. I can't really quick-fix it with EQ either cause then my sound gets all wonky. Any set-up suggestions?

2. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum) Gold Supporting Member

Have you talked with Scott @ Birdsong?

3. darthbatman

darthbatman

Nah.. i got the impression he wasn't into slap and doesn't set em up for it. I don't know for some reason I feel weird about going right to him with questions, that dude's one of the busiest people I've met. It's not that I wouldn't value what he'd have to say, but I figured it's best to ask around here first and maybe get some different players weighing in on it. If any other short scale guys out there had to do this or that to get a better slap sound, help a brother out!

4. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum) Gold Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kai_ski

kai_ski

Slapping on a short scale is like 50% technique 40% strings and 10% instrument. You're just going to have to find some strings that give you some more tension or modify your technical approach to get the sound you want. Try to slap in more of a thumb plucking fashion (parallel with the finger board) and popping like pulling a trigger. Coming straight down on the string like a drum stick might not have the best results. Good left hand technique is needed as well.

7. darthbatman

darthbatman

Alright cool, so i can stop worrying about whether setting up differently might help and just focus in on adjusting technique and trying some diff strings.. thanks dude :)

8. darthbatman

darthbatman

Could you maybe link me to some materials demonstrating this particular slap approach?

9. kai_ski

kai_ski

There's a huge sticky in the technique forum. This guy knows what he's talkin' bout too.

good luck.

10. darthbatman

darthbatman