1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Setting up my man cave room with a microphone.

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by marksrick, Jan 19, 2014.

1. marksrick

marksrick

Hi,
    First of all I am not a rocket scientist so please use the KISS formula on me!
    Here,s the deal and I dont even know if I am where I need to be to leave this thread.
    OK, I play bass and want to practice my vocals. I dont want to record.
    I am interested in a nice boom stand and good microphone. What else do you see that I dont? Cables! How do I hook up a microphone? Do I use my bass amp? Do I have to get a cd and amp separatly for this microphone? I dont want any interferance between my playing and singing.
    I just want to sit in my chair while practicing, play music and sing along into a microphone. Do I need a DJ set up? I dont know. Really would appreciate some feedback. This is a big deal to me. thanks , Mark renner.

2. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

You need to hear your bass and vocals at the same time. How you amplify your voice depends on how play at gigs: with a floor monitor or do you use in ear monitors?

If you're using IEMs, it's easy: get a Rolls PMD351 and plug your mic cable, CD player, and bass DI into that, and run your IEM from the same device to your ears.

If you use a floor monitor, you'll need a "mini PA" setup into which you plug your mic cable and CD player. A small practice amp with dual inputs may suffice as you won't need big volume. Run your bass through your standard rig.

Also, do you stand or sit at gigs? Practice singing and playing the same way. Your vocal chords will open up more if you stand and you'll be practicing the same way you perform.

3. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

i personally would just buy a small 1 channel or 2 channel mixing board, and then plug in a set of headphones...you will already have the cables you need with the mic (if you have already purchased hopefully you got a mic cable) and you should have one for your bass (regular 1/4" bass (lol) cable)

and as Ukiah said, practice singing the same way when at a gig...

4. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GreggBummer

GreggBummer

I use a set up at home that I find is perfect for singing practice.

I use a small mixer with a preamp. This is the mixer I use:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/802.aspx

The mic pre amps allow you to use microphones that require phantom power. Many/most mics do.

In channel one I run a mic, channel 2 is my bass. There is a hookup (2 RCA jacks) for my iPod.

I then plug headphones into the board and get practicing.

I bought the mixing board a few years ago and I've been using it for dozens of other little uses around the studio and in band situation. These little boards are a must have.

7. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Media:
    I have an old 1x10 practice combo that use for a vocal monitor if I need to practice loud. Use an XLR to 1/4" convertor, good to go. I even leave it set up so my kids can play with it, though then I put the volume control out of arms reach :) I just have a cheapo GLS 57 clone, but it sounds fine for this use. I have a bunch of other "good" mics, but for the $30 it cost me, I don't mind if the kids beat it up a bit. Check them out on Amazon, they sell decent quality cables for cheap as well.

8. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Media:
    Important note: NOt for live use. Condenser mics require power, Dynamic mics (like the Shure SM series) do not. Condensers are normally studio mics, very sensitive and more fragile. Unless OP wants to drop several hundred dollars on a "live" condenser, they're more likely to end up with a dynamic.

9. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

If you literally just want something so that you can hear yourself practicing, why not just go with a little handheld recorder. We use the Zoom H1 at band practice all the time, and then send the files to each other to listen back separately.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=699403&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Just set it down on a surface nearby, hit record, and then you can listen back through its speakers, use headphones, or plug it into the computer and pull the MP3s off of it.

The H1 sounds better than the H2, FYI, in case you'd be looking into it.

10. ZenG

ZenG

I use a Roland AC-60 mic amp for vocals....when I'm playing at home and need tweaked vocals.

It'll take condenser mikes or normal mikes.

It has plug-in to amplify acoustic guitars separately from mikes.

It has chorus , reverb, etc etc etc....on it as well as 3-EQ for voice.

Amazing what a little dash of reverb will do for a vocal.

if you are satisfied with the sound of your voice "uncut" that 's fine......but my voice is "woofy" so I need to EQ it to sound good......

11. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Hi Mark,
    Get a Rolls PM351 personal monitor - and just plug your earbuds, mic, bass, and even an MP3 player or whatnot into the Rolls and play and sing along.

1) Rolls PM351
    2) Headphones or earbuds
    3) Mic with mic clip holder, cable, and stand with boom
    4) Bass with cable

PS: You should be able to get a secondhand Shure SM58 mic for about $50 - they sound good and are built like a tank so with a little care it should last you a lifetime. And I highly recommend AKG and Atlas stands and booms, oh and Shure SE215 earbuds work well without being to expensive, and any XLR mic cable with a grounded shield will do.

12. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

I have the same exact setup for when I want to do something online, or record for practice reasons. But when I'm just working on the coordination between playing and singing, I don't even use the mic. At normal practice volume with the bass and backing tracks, I can hear myself just fine.

13. Slade N

Slade N sunn #91 AZ Bands #? Supporting Member

if you dont want to record, why not just play the tracks and your bass at a lower volume while singing at the same volume as your speaking voice?

14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    Plus 1 more or less. When I'm learning tunes to sing, I play at a volume where I can hear myself clearly. I often learn the chords on guitar, then the lyric and then the bass line. If I can put the lyric on auto pilot, the bassline will take care of itself.

I have the good fortune to have a drummer with a great foot and big ears. If the vocal line seems beyond category in a spot, I tend to restructure the bass line around something I can acheive and focus on the vocal. My drummer will carry me through. For most tunes, only the bass payers in the audiece will know and they aren't generally good tippers... I am just smart enough to not attempt Police tunes, that and find the dinner plate :D

In orher words I try to be realistic about what I can pull off. A guy I used to work with said ' Find the groove you can sing over, then add songs with the same groove, work on singing over other grooves, wash, rinse, repeat as necessary'.

15. GreggBummer

GreggBummer

I agree. That is probably the best way to practice anyway. However, I find that mixing my own voice in the headphones helps to keep me on pitch and helps to trouble shoot my own pitch problems.

Also, I occaisonally record myself to hear how I sound "outside" my own head. That helps a lot.