1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Setting up my Vintage mod 70s jb

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Torkk, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Torkk

Torkk

I just picked her up new today. Checking the setup, the strings where kinda high so I adjusted the truss and then action then went for intonation. Well, My E kept coming out flat on the 12th, I have the saddle even with the G while the other 2 are further back. Would that be normal?

I haven't changed out the strings yet either.

Is there a good setup guide for the Squier Jazz bass out there?

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The stickies on the forum have setup guides - there's nothing specific to the Jazz, it's as generic a bass as one could ask for. You might have a bad string, but that's less likely than a simple need for more setup work.

3. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Witness points. Move the E saddle back a quarter inch. behind the A. Press the string down on both sides of the saddle to remove string arc and make a clean break point. Check intonation. Adjust as needed. Every time you move the saddle do this.

4. pfox14

pfox14

How are you checking the intonation? If the fretted note at the 12th fret is flat compared to the harmonic, move that saddle closer to the neck.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Torkk

Torkk

I bought new DR Lowrider stings today. Sounds good, but my E's saddle is still up there even with my G 34 inches from the nut A and D are a tad back from there. Intonation sounds ok on E now, and I went by the open string and the 12th harmonic against the 12th fret for the intonation.