Setup Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ctpunk, Feb 26, 2014.

1. ctpunk

ctpunk Supporting Member

Im relatively new to all this and need some advice. Im gonna send my P Bass in for a setup but am wondering which direction to go with the work ahead.

First off its a 4 string and I pretty confident thats what I prefer. I have smaller hands and put a Jazz neck on the bass for obvious reasons. I think a 5 string would just bring me back to square one and too big of a reach.

So with that said I also tune way down. Usually a whole step if not 2 whole steps down. Fan of Tool and COC type stuff and overall heavy and low.

Now for the questions. The neck right now is set up with a stock nut from fender. Should I consider replacing or modifying the nut to accommodate some heavier strings? If so what size are we talking?

Or should I even consider using the heavy B string that Vs use instead of using a standard E string size?

Your advice is appreciated. Feel free to correct me on any typos or flat out confusion. Its my Friday night. :D

2. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

You can buy sets . for down tuning. Check them out.

You need to have an idea of what you want as your Standard tuning and pick your gauges accordingly. If you want to go B or C, .135 - .130 range. D, a little lighter can be used .130 - .120

That's just an idea. Every one has a different idea.

The nut slots should be filed to accept the wider strings. You don't need a new nut.

Whoever sets up the bass needs to know your tuning so make up your mind what is going to be standard for you and tell him so he can set it up properly. Every time you change tuning, it will affect the setup; you may get buzzing if you drop lower.

If you learn hoe to do it yourself you'll save money and have the joy of being a tweaker of the good kind. It's easy and you can dial your bass in exactly as you want it, not how a tech has to interpret how you say you want it.

3. JustForSport

JustForSport

Or use the BEAD strings from a 5 string set, but open the nut slots to accept the larger strings.
    There are also some threads on here regarding converting a 4 stringer to a 5 stringer, using the same neck.
    If you can adjust to the closer spacing, that may work as far as the reach goes.

4. ctpunk

ctpunk Supporting Member

Thanks Tbird. Sweet Avatar that is my current desktop ironically.

I may try out this happy tweaker thing. Ive made adjustments myself in the past but never knew 100% what I was doing when it came to intonation and such. Im sure I can find something on YouTube to show me the way.

As for string gauges thats great info. I have 2 Ps and may set up one to play standard tuning or step down and the other set up to tune down a whole or 2 whole steps.

gracias

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JustForSport

JustForSport

7. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Go to the top of this section to the stickies section "all setup ..." Download the Jerzy Drozd guide to setups and you will know all you need to be a pro at tweaking your bass.

Buying a 5 string set for more money when drop tune 4 string sets are readily available is not cool unless you hate your money or use G strings for arts and crafts projects. :D

Oh yeah, I like the old test patterns. Reminds me of when I was a toddler in the sixties. Like Tommy "the man" Chong said, "I'm watching a movie about Indians but it's really boring man."