Setup Experience

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Vanceman, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Vanceman

Vanceman

My nephew wants to borrow my J bass to record with, so I thought i should check the intonation. I do this myself, so no problem. Relief looks good, raised the action on 2 of the strings to get rid of some buzz and intonated. Boy was it off! Finished up, and boy does it sound good, and only took 10 minutes.

I'm on a roll, so lets tackle the Carvin. Action way too low, the A string is dead, everything rattles, and intonation is way off. Haven't played her in a while. I had to add some relief, raise the action of all the strings, but the A string sounds weird, so I loosen it up completely and take it off the peg.

The string immeadiatly flips over a half turn... the string was twisted. I unrolled the little coil, cut off the bent part and re-bent the end to go in the hole. Much better! I go through the intonation process, but something is still rattling. Truss rod maybe? I loosen and tighten the truss rod a little and the rattle is gone. Plays and sound great, but was no easy job. I must have spent 45 minutes on this one. No wonder there's so many questions about setups.

Just wanted to share.

2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

The great learning tool - experience. :cool:

3. NeroJazz

NeroJazz Gold Supporting Member

One of the most rewarding skills is to setup your own instruments.