1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Setup Experience

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Vanceman, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    My nephew wants to borrow my J bass to record with, so I thought i should check the intonation. I do this myself, so no problem. Relief looks good, raised the action on 2 of the strings to get rid of some buzz and intonated. Boy was it off! Finished up, and boy does it sound good, and only took 10 minutes.

I'm on a roll, so lets tackle the Carvin. Action way too low, the A string is dead, everything rattles, and intonation is way off. Haven't played her in a while. I had to add some relief, raise the action of all the strings, but the A string sounds weird, so I loosen it up completely and take it off the peg.

The string immeadiatly flips over a half turn... the string was twisted. I unrolled the little coil, cut off the bent part and re-bent the end to go in the hole. Much better! I go through the intonation process, but something is still rattling. Truss rod maybe? I loosen and tighten the truss rod a little and the rattle is gone. Plays and sound great, but was no easy job. I must have spent 45 minutes on this one. No wonder there's so many questions about setups.

Just wanted to share.

2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    The great learning tool - experience. :cool:

3. NeroJazz

NeroJazz

May 2, 2011
    Denmark
    One of the most rewarding skills is to setup your own instruments.