1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Setup of my Fender Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by IanthePez, Aug 11, 2000.

1. IanthePez

IanthePez

I have a fender jazz bass and I was wondering if I can get some general setup information like how high the strings are supposed to be and stuff like that. Part of it is that I want to stop the buzzing I get once in a while. I have Ernie Ball Super Slinky strings if that helps. Any general setup info would be great.

Pez

2. Angus

Angus Gold Supporting Member

Well, ill help with the string buzzing here. You might either 1) have high frets, which you cant help, and is badbadbad, or 2) which is more likely, is that you have the action set to low. To handle this, take a allen head wrench of the correct size (not sure, but small), and, after loosening the strings (important!), stick it in the holes in the bridge saddles (the little things the strings sit on at the bridge, the things that have the springs), and simply raise them slightly, by turning to the left. Do it pretty equally (theres two wrench inserts, do it equally to both, so you dont have two strings really close together or towards the edge of the fretboard). To test, move the saddle up a little bit, and then retune to approximate tuning, and test to see where it buzzes. I would test at frets 1, 5, 7, 12, 15, and 19, just by playing a note. Once free of buzzing (but still comfortable to play, thats more important), youre set. Understand? If theres something you didnt understand, ill help. But yeah, it might be slightly harder to play after, but youll have less buzzing. :D

3. IanthePez

IanthePez

Well, I am new so I don't know too much but I understand what you meant. I played on a few of the frets and it doesn't happen while I am holding the strings all the way down so I guess that's a good thing. It's mostly between playing notes. I guess that's mostly my strings and my technique then. I am thinking of getting half-wounds just cause I have never tried them.

Pez

4. Angus

Angus Gold Supporting Member

Well, its not your strings, its technique. Just gotta get the muting down, which we can help you with if you need that, too. And half-rounds = bad! So are ernie balls though. Why do you want half-rounds?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. IanthePez

IanthePez

I just wanted to try them cause I never have and thought they would be less bright which is kinda what I want, but not really, know what I mean :) Yeah I do need some help on technique so feel free to help :)

P.S. If you don't mind we can continue this a bit on ICQ. My number is 11884997.

Pez

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Supporting Member

If you want precise setup information for Fenders - it's all on their website - http://www.fender.com

8. ToNe45

ToNe45

it really depends on the model pickups. if they are not the newer noiseless models, then it might be something ur gonna hve to just live with. if u change strings and it still occurs, then i would check to make sure ur pickups and bidge are aligned (i have seen one of the pickups be off centered and the buzzing would be brought about by that)

9. Hambone

Hambone

that hasn't been brought up is, after you've done the best setup you can, if some frets buzz (say the 7th) but the 5th and 9th don't, you may need a fret dressing. The buzzing is caused by having one or more frets that are just a little bit higher than those on either side. It happens. Dressing will bring all of the frets to the same height. A qualified luthier can do this for you and, once done, will last for a pretty long time.

I've also got to give an alternative view of HalfRound strings. Your desire to have a string that has a bit less brightness can be achieved with a half round type. You might also find that this type of string is more comfortable that full roundwounds. These strings also are a bit easier on the frets. Another poster here advises the use of "flatter" strings if the bass in an older one, apparently because the fret material of newer basses is a bit harder. That sounds like good advice. I use HalfRound D'Addario's on my fretless and like their level of brightness combined with them being much nicer to my fingerboard. As a beginner, shop around and try different brands and styles. Eventually you will have a broader knowledge of what's available and what fits your style of playing.

10. IanthePez

IanthePez

Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to try plenty of strings before I make a decision on what to stick with.

Pez