Seventh Chords construction

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by markjsmithbass, Nov 2, 2013.

1. markjsmithbass

markjsmithbass Supporting Member

If anyone's interested in some harmony and theory applied to bass, here's the latest in the series. This time I'm covering seventh chord construction:
    http://www.talkingbass.net/seventhchords/

There's a pdf to download of the lesson material. If this lesson is too advanced then there's a bunch of previous lessons on intervals and triads.

Hope it helps someone.

Mark
  2. Lacuga

Lacuga Supporting Member

Wow, another excellent video, really well done. You are producing an outstanding and extremely helpful series.

My big issue is getting comfortable with finding the chordal tones up and down the neck, especially with changing chord progressions in songs.
  3. markjsmithbass

markjsmithbass Supporting Member

I'm writing a book dedicated to that exact problem and I'll be making a video on it shortly. Basically you can build an arpeggio from the first finger, 2nd/3rd and 4th fingers. These 3 shapes cover quite a lot of ground. I've christened this concept the tri shape system. Build these 3 shapes from a tonic on the e string and a string giving you 6 patterns. Then add a transitional pattern of a first finger shape at the d string tonic and you have the whole fretboard covered (if you take octave repeat into account).
    If that seems confusing, don't worry. The upcoming lesson on the tri shapes will shed some light. The same concept can be applied to scales. My penatonic scale lesson touches on it briefly. It's a way of dealing with the symmetry of the fretboard.
    Glad you like the lessons.