1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Seymour Duncan 8000 bi-amp, great buy?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by altamont, Feb 3, 2013.

1. altamont

altamont

Hey guys,
    I've got a friend that has got back into bass playing after he sold me his bass rig for a real nice price about a year and a half ago. I figured that I owed it to him to help him out to look for a nice deal on a used head and cab for his new music project.

Well, I found a used mid 80's Seymour Duncan 8000 bi-amp with a 2x10 and 1x15 in two seperate matching cabs. All that for 295$. I pointed the ad to him and he went and got it in a heartbeat. He figured that at that price it was worth a try.

Great score?
    To me it is.

Well I went to his new band practice this friday and it really sounded awesome. My SVT rig has nothing to envy tone-wise but that Seymour Duncan rig really sounds wonderfull. And at that price...!!!

Here it is. Sorry for the s**tty cell picture.
    Tell me what you guys think!
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1359905117.538914.jpg
  2. altamont

altamont

No love for Seymour Duncan?
  3. mournblade

mournblade

Never heard a SD amp. Like his pickups, does that count?
  4. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

+1.

I am a total gear head and I never knew he made bass gear.

I like the low key branding on the cabs though!;)
  5. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Funny I used to live about 17 miles away from the factory. Went there for parking lot sales (over-stock and discontinued stuff). Guess I had my nose so far up in the air with my SVT and Sunn 2000S I couldn't see the ground I walked on. I should have at least tried one! I guess the cork up my *** stopped me?
  6. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

Cool, that's what really matters !

I have never seen those amps sold anywhere. I would like to try them some day.
  7. altamont

altamont

Even a blind guy could figure out it's SD with that kind of branding.
  8. Fred312b

Fred312b

9. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

A whole rig for 3 bills - VERY nice!
  10. bThumper38

bThumper38 brian ebert Gold Supporting Member

Very Jealous, my bass buddy i high school had one of those, and I was always jealous of his rig, pretty sure he still uses it. also those things were some serious coin back in the day, I've been combing ebay for years for one of these. tell him to enjoy=)
  11. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

I had a biamp 8000 years ago, and it was a killer amp -- very loud, clear, and punchy. It had duel 400 watts amps, and a built in crossover; Plus it was built like a tank. At the time I had two Hartke XL cabs (4x10 and 1x15 - when Hartke was still top shelf gear), and that setup was truly awesome!
  12. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    My bass bud had one of those SD heads back
    in the 80s// I have to say it sounded great... Very articulate...
  13. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
  14. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

I remember playing a couple of the Duncan bass amps, and I thought they were pretty nice sounding. I think that is a hell of a deal for the price.
  15. winston

winston Supporting Member

I remember seeing those in stores back in the '80s, they looked very impressive! There was also a lower-powered mono head.
  16. jungleheat

jungleheat

Certainly looks cool. If everything works and it sounds even halfway decent, I'd say $300 for all that is a great deal. A lot of times you can't even get a crappy chinese made combo for that much.
  17. Mikkel Grum

Mikkel Grum

Hi-i play on the said Seymour Duncann Top 800 watt Bi-AMP- Its the best top i ever used ! Punchy -CrispClear and drive-drive-drive-i use a mesa BoogieCab 2 x 15 inch celestions- and i paidb around ca. 1700 usd for the amp -alone-in Denmark- in early nineties-i think-i had it in my cellar stacked away, and a couple of years ago, i decided to give it a go- and i never stopped again ! so congrats to your friend-he is a lucky potato ! ;-)