Seymour Duncan MM+J bass+ Sustainiac?!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Hapijoel, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Hapijoel

Hapijoel

Hi there

I'm having a head ache trying to figure out if this is even possible...:help:

I'm planning my first Warmoth build, and ideally I'd like to match up a Seymour Duncan SMB-5D at the bridge with a J-bass pickup in it usual neck position, also with a Sustainiac driver above that, and a STC-3p pre amp.

FIRST QUESTION; I keep seeing basses with MM+J configs, but no one on the Seymour Duncan forum can tell me if its possible to link the two of them together, let alone attach a Sustainiac as well. Is this something that can be done?!

I've emailed a guy at Maniac Music and he reckons the MM pickup will work fine, so thats fine. It's mostly the idea of having that J-PU in between wiring wise thats worrying me.

Any suggestions on how to achieve this would be HUGELY appreciated.

SECOND QUESTIONS; Would the J-PU be hum cancelling with the MM-PU?

THIRD QUESTIONS; Can anyone recommend the best type of J-PU? I was thinking a Seymour Duncan SJ5-3...

Thank you in advance! :bassist:
  2. The_Phoenician

The_Phoenician

The jazz pickup won't be hum-canceling with the MM; you'll need a stacked or split-coil jazz pickup for that.
  3. Hapijoel

Hapijoel

Thanks Phoenician...might have to consider a more traditional P+J set up instead...
  4. IronSpatula

IronSpatula

This is true if you are running both coils of the MM. If you split the MM, one of the coils will hum-cancel with the jazz pickup.

That's not a hum-canceling setup either. A P pickup is hum-canceling by itself, so again you'll have to get a stacked or side-by-side coil J.

If you want to cancel the hum of a single coil J, you need another single coil in the circuit.
  5. lz4005

lz4005

Another thing to consider when you're using a Sustainiac: there's a minimum distance required between the sustainer and the pickup it works with, so you'll most likely have to set it up so that it works with the bridge pickup only. You can still have a middle position pickup, obviously, but it wouldn't work when the Sustainiac is on.

Not that I know if it will even work on bass to begin with. They're pretty temperamental. I remember reading about a custom one-off they made for a bass player back in the 90's, which leads me to believe it might be hard to adapt one made for guitar to work for bass.