Seymour Duncan NYC bass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by hosebass, Apr 13, 2014.

1. hosebass

hosebass Gold Supporting Member

Fellow TBers. I am currently installing two Seymour Duncan NYC pickups and the 3 band EQ into my bass. I am asking opinions on what fellows bass players prefer when using two soapbars. (( 4 conductor leads). Do you use Mini or Rotary switches to do series, parallel and split combinations? Unless I am wrong, I think I can still use the BLEND pot if I use mini switches. If I use a rotary it will REPLACE the blend control.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Push/pull pots or mini switches.

3. BruceWane

BruceWane

I'd do this -
    For each pickup, a dual pole triple throw on-on-on switch, wired to do parallel humbucker, series humbucker, and single coil (you'll want to use either the inner coil or the outer coil on both pickups for single coil mode - if you mix them, i.e. use the outer coil on the front and inner coil on the rear, or vice-versa, it'll still work but you'll probably have more hum than you'd like).

Output of the individual pickup switches then goes to a dual pole double throw on-on switch to place both pickups in parallel or series. Output of this switch goes to a blend. Blend won't be functional when this switch is in series, it'll act like a volume control.

4. Modulus1906

Modulus1906 Supporting Member

Just curious, what's the point/benefit of running from the individual switches connected to the pickup to the on-on switch. Isnt this redundant since you already get series or parallel from each pickup switch? Thanks

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Disclosures:
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    One can all Seymour Duncan tech support for options and advice. 805.964.9610

7. BruceWane

BruceWane

Not redundant at all. Having your neck and/or bridge pickup switched to series humbucker mode is pretty different from combining the two pickups in series.

If I wanted to keep the switches to a minimum, I would place priority on the two individual pickup switches. You'll get the most mileage out of being able to place each pickup in humbucker or single coil mode.

For humbucking mode, you'll likely find that either series or parallel is much more useful. It's the nature of dual coils; to sound their best, the coils need to be wound for one configuration or the other. Basically, a dual coil that's wound to sound really good in parallel will not sound that great in series, and vice versa. Nature of the beast. If you compromise and try to wind them "in between", you get a pickup that will maybe sound, eh, pretty good in both series and parallel. A bass that has many different sounds that are all just kinda "OK" is not really something most players are interested in.

Nordstrand gives a good explanation on dual coils here. > http://nordstrandpickups.com/products/dual-coils/

So you could try your pickups both ways and see which you prefer, then go with a dual pole dual throw on-on switch for each pickup to go between single coil and your chosen humbucker mode, or just go with the triple throw and have that other mode available just for the heck of it, even though you may not use it much.

Then, as far as the third switch to place the outputs of the two pickups in parallel or series - to me, I figure the options are there, and for the price of one more switch I might as well have every different wiring configuration available. Especially when recording, you never know when something a little different is just what is needed.

If nothing else, you can spend lots of time flicking switches ;)

The folks at Seymour Duncan will probably tell you which way their dual coils are primarily intended to be wired.