1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Seymour Duncan on Fenders P: 2 out of 2

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Laurent, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

A few weeks ago I switched the pickups on my 2008 Fender P bass 62 US RI and installed Seymour Duncan Antiquity II. The improvement in tone was amazing and gave this bass the voice I wished it always had. I felt a little funny doing this because I had assumed the Fender 62 P bass pick up was the holy grail of tone for that instrument.

I was faced with the same dilemma with a brand new Fender ash body US standard P Bass made in 2012. The bass has a maple neck. It's a limited series and a great instrument but I did not like the pickups from the beginning. To have some variety of tone I selected a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 and noticed a vast improvement over the stock pick-ups. It's warmer, bigger sounding and less shrill in the highs. It's got a nice vintage vibe. The SPB-1 is a great value for the price.

Compared with the Antiquity II the SPB-1 has a lot more highs and less bottom but it's designed to be this way.
    Matched with the maple neck and ash body the SPB-1 works really well.

Anyways, Fender has really improved the quality and finish of their instruments and this US standard P Bass shows the brand is at the top of its game. When it comes to pick-ups (which are admittedly very much a matter of taste) they don't quite perform quite as well. Their pick-ups are good but they have nowhere the mojo and tone Seymour Duncan currently delivers.