Seymour Duncan Pickups.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by devinp17, Feb 27, 2014.

1. devinp17

devinp17 Guest

Hey everyone. I want to get some new pickups for my Squier Precision Bass Special (P/J Bass), and I love the sound of Seymour Duncans. So my question is: are the Quarter Pound P-Bass SPB-3, and the Hot Stack J-Bass STK-J2 a good combination together? They're both "BassLines" Pickups. In other words: if someone wanted to get their Duff McKagan on, would these be the best choice? I know that Duffs Signature Bass has the STK-J2 in the bridge position and a standard Fender Precision Pickup in the neck position (or is it middle??). But I want a Seymour Duncan for my Precision Pickup; not a Fender. Could anyone help me out with this?

Thanks!
  2. Marial

Marial Pooped Supporting Member

I can't help with your specific question, but I can second the love of Seymour Duncans. I really dig their Antiquity II Jazz pick ups.
  3. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

There's no such thing as "the sound of Seymour Duncans". They make a number of different pickup models in each of the form factors, and each model is intended to recreate a different tonal profile.

I suggest you go to the source and educate yourself. Spend some time on seymourduncan.com, familiarize yourself with their various offerings, listen to available sound clips, and then decide which of them (if any) meet your needs.
  4. Doctor_K

Doctor_K

I have not answer for you, but why not call Seymour Duncan and talk to them? It is what they do.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. devinp17

devinp17 Guest

I did listen to vids and read quite a bit about the different models, but I haven't found any vids with the SPB-3 and the STK-J2 together. That's basically what I'm trying to get at here. So if anyone has any experience with this combo, then let me know. :)
  7. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

The quarter pounder is quite the heavy-hitter. I don't think it is a good pickup to try first.

A run-of-the mill SPB-1 is a very even and round sounding Precision pickup that is easily acquired used and is often the final stop in sound search. And if not it's easily flipped.
  8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

To me the Quarter Pounder is a harsh sounding pickup I didn't care for it at all.
  9. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

Yeah, you usually need the tone pot no higher than half. And then the whole point is a bit moot.