Seymour Duncan SJB-2

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by El Tedesco, Dec 23, 2012.

1. El Tedesco

El Tedesco

I'm looking to get some opinions or experience with the Seymour Duncan SJB-2, if anybody had used them.

I am not looking for alternative suggestions, so please only input on this particular pup.

I am intrigued by the increased output and strong midrange specs. I am considering this set for a fretless J-Bass.

My concept is to beef up the midrange and sacrifice some the clarity in the low/treble range, since those frequencies won't be strong on a fretless w/ flatwounds anyways.

Rated output is 15 kohm Neck and 16.6 kohm Bridge according to SD's tone chart. That's a lot for my taste in passive J-pups, but they could sound real great in fretless w/ flatwounds?

2. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

I know a bass player in town with these pickups. he almost always scoops his mids a good deal, and uses stainless steel strings; and still has a good heap of mids in his tone. To be honest; he even says its a bit much in the mids.

Not having tried them personally; that's about all I can offer you.

3. El Tedesco

El Tedesco

Thank you very much, that's good info.
    That's also exactly what I am afraid of, they might be too much midrangy.
    I know Duncan makes good pups, there's no doubt. Question is, if the flavor will match my expectations.

I play an Ampeg PF500, which is already somewhat midrange focused. It may be a great compliment or simply too much.

I found some posts in Smash's J-Bass pup thread, that show good reviews on the SJB-2.

They may just fit the bill. For more overtones and glassy basses, I'd use another Bass.

4. parsons

parsons

I have them in the bridge of two of my PJ basses, they're not too middy for me but I don't use flats on those basses. I have them in my Fender Jag, and they work great with DR black beauties.

I do have flats on several of my Precisions with the SPB-2 and that can be overwhelming sometimes, but then again, completely different pickup design.

You may also consider the STKJ2 from Duncan. Voiced almost the same but a tad less in the mid. You can also use a push pull or toggle to wire each pickup in parallel/series modes for boost in mids. I've done this with awesome results.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I have those on one of my jazz basses. They are as SD claims ... hot. They have a boosted midrange which will work nicely on a fretless. The SBJ-2 is replacing the 1/4 pounder as my favorite jazz pickup. These pickups sound really good soloed. The only down side is if you use distortion they break up sooner than other pickups. If you find them too hot then back them off from the strings a little.

7. Metania

Metania

Disclosures:
    Orthodox Theology, Byzantine History, horror movies, crafts, making stuff from leather. Flirting with awesome women :-)
    I had to install these temporarily on my 72 Jazz, since my bridge pup fizzled out, and my tech is away on holiday! I definitely prefer the Fender stock 72 pups, but the SJB2 is a pleasant surprise. My Jazz has enormous amount of bottom, and huge sound, and while highs are clear and crisp, there wasn't THAT much mid at all. So the beefed up mid range of the SJB2s seems to go well with it. I'll change them back again eventually, but I do like the sound of them. For slapping too, I should say. It may be because my JB has this unlimited ocean of lows, that you can just pound away with no noticeable distortion.

8. anomalybass

anomalybass

im sold..ive been looking for a nice hot midrange heavy bridge pup and it looks like I found it..i cant get enough of that mid-growl..-joep