Seymour Duncan SPB-2

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 3tsb, Feb 17, 2013.

1. 3tsb

3tsb

I acquired an ESP Vintage 4 recently and used through my amp for the first time on stage last night. Wow! Is it "honky". So much so, I rolled the bridge p/u off and ran the mids on my amp flat as opposed to boosted like I would with my Lakland Jazz bass. I was still able to cut through the mix with no problem. Is this an inherent trait of the SPB-2's?

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

The SPB-2 has very thick, pronounced low mids -- a range often scooped out on a J-bass. So, if you were boosting mids on your amp with the J, I'd expect you to be bringing them down with the SPB-2.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

+1

mids are not a problem with P-basses, which is why i'm not a fan of the loud but rolled-off duncan "hot" P.

their "vintage" SPB-1 is much more balanced and musical (my fave of the three), while if you want a "boosted" P pickup their SPB-3 quarter-pound keeps some highs and lows.

4. acebase62

acebase62 Supporting Member

I also swapped a SPB-2 for the vintage SPB-1, and I prefer the SPB-1 tone and versatility.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

The Antiquity II P is also very nice, more bass and wolly character than the SPB-1.
    I have both and tend to prefer the Antiquity, that being said the SPB-1 is a superb pick-up and a really nice value.

7. Mr.Typhus

Mr.Typhus

Yeah, I have the exact same bass, ESP vintage 4.
    I also changed the P-pickup to SPB-1 vintage. I really liked the SPB-2 together with the bridge pickup, but alone it was too "muffled" on the high-end and I dont think precision basses need any more middle on their sound :) Now I am really happy with the sound! You should keep the SJB-2 bridge pickup, It works great with SPB-1!