1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Seymour Duncan SPB-2

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 3tsb, Feb 17, 2013.

1. 3tsb

3tsb

I acquired an ESP Vintage 4 recently and used through my amp for the first time on stage last night. Wow! Is it "honky". So much so, I rolled the bridge p/u off and ran the mids on my amp flat as opposed to boosted like I would with my Lakland Jazz bass. I was still able to cut through the mix with no problem. Is this an inherent trait of the SPB-2's?
  2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

The SPB-2 has very thick, pronounced low mids -- a range often scooped out on a J-bass. So, if you were boosting mids on your amp with the J, I'd expect you to be bringing them down with the SPB-2.
  3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

+1

mids are not a problem with P-basses, which is why i'm not a fan of the loud but rolled-off duncan "hot" P.

their "vintage" SPB-1 is much more balanced and musical (my fave of the three), while if you want a "boosted" P pickup their SPB-3 quarter-pound keeps some highs and lows.
  4. acebase62

acebase62 Supporting Member

I also swapped a SPB-2 for the vintage SPB-1, and I prefer the SPB-1 tone and versatility.
  5. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

The Antiquity II P is also very nice, more bass and wolly character than the SPB-1.
    I have both and tend to prefer the Antiquity, that being said the SPB-1 is a superb pick-up and a really nice value.
  6. Mr.Typhus

Mr.Typhus

Yeah, I have the exact same bass, ESP vintage 4.
    I also changed the P-pickup to SPB-1 vintage. I really liked the SPB-2 together with the bridge pickup, but alone it was too "muffled" on the high-end and I dont think precision basses need any more middle on their sound :) Now I am really happy with the sound! You should keep the SJB-2 bridge pickup, It works great with SPB-1!