Seymour Duncan Steve Harris Signature pickups ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Zbassb4, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Zbassb4

Zbassb4

I recently bought a MIM Fender standard p bass , had some scratches and rusted screws and all that stuff so I have been cleaning it up and noticed that the pickups are terrible so I want to get new ones.

I don't want active pickups due to no battery area on the p bass so I was thinking about get some Seymour Duncan's , Steve Harris signature pickups.

Haven't heard a whole lot about these pickups and was just wondering if they are any good , at my local music shop they are 80 dollars for the pair.

Are they worth it ?
  2. Linnin

Linnin

I've had a set of Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders in my '76 Precision since 1985. Thats the very same p'up that Steve Harris used originally. Yes they sound great. As far as his new signature set is concerned even though I haven't heard or played them I wouldn't hesitate to give them a go. $80 is a very reasonable price. I'd pop 'em in!
  3. awamori

awamori

They're like a QP with more mids and touch sensitivity imo.
  4. Mr M

Mr M

Steve Harris never used quarter pounders, eventhough it was written as people using it on SD page. He always had custom shop special orders. Where do I know? I've talked with SD custom shop and had a Harris pickup wound for me (it was long before, now they offer as a production model). BTW you can easily see that his pickups have never been QP, because QP has huge poles and none of his bass have.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Noot

Noot

I have Seymour Duncans off of a Steve Harris P Bass and they are SPB-1, as opposed to quarterpounds which are SPB-3. So these SPB-1 Vintage pickups sound pretty good, clear, neutral, a bit cold maybe, but do the job well if you're looking for a classic P tone.
  7. Thebrownarrow

Thebrownarrow

This was put up on youtube recently. The guy that did all the other pickups demos is at it again. Best thing about it is that he didn't slap through the entire thing for once lol.

http://youtu.be/Nwgu0UZ9p6A
  8. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

IIRC this pickup is mostly vintage spec like the SPB-1 (awg42 wire, A5 normal size rod magnets), with just a bit of a different wind.

A SPB-1 might be the better buy if you are short on cash.