1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Seymour Duncan Wire Schematic Interpretation

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SLAM_Bass, Jan 29, 2013.

1. SLAM_Bass

SLAM_Bass

Hey TB'ers,

So I recently purchased some Nordstrand pickups and had a go at installing them into my Aerodyne. I get fantastic sound but I also have a ground issue somewhere (buzz/hum stops when touching strings, strange alien-like clicking noises with tone pot at max). I followed this wiring schematic from Seymour Duncan:

[​IMG]

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=std_p_j_bass

I'm going to be going back over my connections to double-check everything, but have a borderline idiotic question about the diagram: the soldering points on the pots almost look like they're bent over top of the pot, but I'm assuming this is just to show the grounding locations in a way that doesn't confuse the eye with the other wires in the diagram? Or, is this to show that the ground wire from the pickups should be soldered to the back of their respective tone pot instead of the "loop" on the perimeter of the pot?

Also, when I opened up the electronics cavity, the Aerodyne's grounding setup was slightly different. Instead of the ground from the neck pickup going to the neck tone pot, it runs the outside of the cavity to the "master tone" pot. The ground connection then runs reverse from the diagram.

Diagram shows grounding route:

Neck Ground -> Neck Volume -> Bridge Volume -> Master Tone

Aerodyne has grounding route:

Neck Ground -> Master Tone -> Bridge Volume -> Neck Volume

Could this also be a source of hum or should this configuration still work?

Sorry for such a long post, and thank you in advance for any help!
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

If you have a buzz that goes away when you touch metal/strings/bridge you have a shielding issue. I do not know about the alien like noises.

If the buzz gets louder when you touch metal/strings/bridge you have a grounding issue.

Give your bass a good proper shielding job and the buzz will go away, ensure you do the pickup covers as well as the cavity and pickguard. Ground the pickup covers and the cavity shield. You can source copper foil tap locally from stained glass supply shops.
  3. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

If you mean the one lug that looks like it's on top (back) of the pot, then yes, that lug actually gets soldered to the back of the pot and then the wires go with it.

--Silvie
  4. SLAM_Bass

SLAM_Bass

Thank you, Diabolus and Silvie for the replies.

I think I'll get a fresh start on this and shield the cavities while I'm at it. Thanks again!