1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

SFX micro thump vs/along with Empress buffer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by falconspatriots, Dec 27, 2012.

1. falconspatriots

falconspatriots Oh Word Supporting Member

Would a Empress Buffer and a sfx microthumpinator on the same board be overkill? If you could only have one which would you use? I've had the SFX for a while and love it. Just ordered a Empress buffer to try it out. I know no one probably has a Empress Buffer yet but the concept isn't new. Would someone with actual buffer knowledge shine a light on the subject. Thanks yall!!

2. Waterpilot

Waterpilot

I have none but am interested in this.

3. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Previously cybersnyder Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    I have a microthump and I'm very happy with it. Adding another buffer to the chain wouldn't do much for you unless you run the microthump late in the chain and would be using the Empress at the start of the chain.

4. falconspatriots

falconspatriots Oh Word Supporting Member

Actually the main reason I bought it is because of the layout of the pedal. I've been wanting a input/output "pedal" to put under the board for a while. This is how I use my SFX(under the board, first in chain after the bass) with the Timeline as the output to the amp. The fact that it is a buffer as well sealed the deal.

With my input/output and buffer situation taken care of, would the SFX be overkill? Is there such thing as over-buffering? Where would be a good place to put this in a chain? I feel like I will miss the filter the microthimp. This is what the chain will most likely look like(if it helps at all):

Bass>empress buffer in>empress comp>empress para eq>B7K>TAFM>Megalith>Mobius>Space>Timeline>Empress buffer out>amp

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CrayZee_One

CrayZee_One

I have a CMATMODS buffer at the start of my chain and an SFX mini thumpinator at the end. Certainly no disadvantages that I can tell. I have allot of pedals and a 5 way looper so I took the 2 buffers as insurance. I also mounted them under my board for an easy plug in/out solution!

[​IMG]

7. cnltb

cnltb

What's that little pedal, second to the left, top row, that says'bit'?

8. CrayZee_One

CrayZee_One

^Tis a rehoused Malekko Bit!
    I have since moved it on. I liked it but making room for more play things....

9. cnltb

cnltb

such as?...:)

Also , I have heard bad things about malekko's built quality/reliability issues.
    Do you think there is something to that?

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Every added buffer is an opportunity for unwanted changes in the wave shape. Of course the higher the quality of the buffer, like the two you're talking about, the less of a problem it's likely to be. But since you asked the question "is there such a thing as over-buffering", yes technically there is. When it happens, the sound usually has a mushy or smeared quality, hard to pin down, but definitely noticeable. I don't think it'll be an issue in your particular situation though.