[sfx] micro-Thumpinator review video

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pauliebass, Jan 31, 2013.

1. pauliebass

pauliebass Supporting Member

Hey everyone, I just posted this on the [sfx] thread:

I just completed a review of the micro-Thumpinator. Thought you guys might like to check it out. I talk a lot at the top of the video for people who don't know what it is. I take a look inside after that and then run it through the EQ of Ozone 5 to show it at work. I found it cool to see the hpf working as well as hearing it. I didn't put it through a live speaker cabinet because Max already has a great vid showing that on his web sight. Anyway... here you go:

joconnorwi likes this.
  2. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

Nice! I always struggle to explain what my Thumpinator does so from now on, I'll just point people to your review.

3. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

4. pauliebass

Thanks! It was a hard review to do. It's much easier to do a bass guitar.

No, but hopefully I'll have some in the future to do reviews on.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Proton Lenny

Proton Lenny

This thing has been temping me for quite a while now. If only it wasn't $180 bucks!

7. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

Great review, thanks. I love my Micro Thumpinator and can attest to what great guy Max is. Mine showed up defective and when I contacted him he got back to me right away. He knew exactly what the problem was and sent me a replacement ic pronto. Well worth the money.

8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 It works very well and yes it is worth it

9. hamfistUK

hamfistUK

Watching the video, I'm actually surprised how much below 30Hz actually gets through. I envisioned some sort of steep cutoff, but the EQ graph software on the vid shows a much shallower slope, still letting a lot through.

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I think honestly that's showing a limitation of the software he's using. Here's a view using higher resolution, showing a bit more of the sub-30 Hz area:

[​IMG]

11. hamfistUK

hamfistUK

Must admit, that does look rather more impressive.

12. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Media:
    What a great review! I'm ordering as soon as Uncle Sam gets me my refund...

13. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Max is the man! The sfx approach to goal-oriented usable tools is visionary, and max has personally helped me, a [temporary but aspiring ] non-customer to fumble my way through circuits on more than one occasion. Classs act

14. pauliebass

It's great to hear from the guy who helped develop the original Tumpinator. Thanks for posting the higher resolution view. I first put the m-T through the channel EQ in Logic and the analyzer in that plug didn't do very well at all in keeping up with the thump. The analyzer in Ozone 5 was much improved, and I thought it was useful to see as well as hear what it was doing. It's fairly obvious that even this analyzer isn't the highest resolution on the planet, though. It's what I had at my disposal and thought it still offered up some insight. It was a fun little experiment to run.

15. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    I own a micro thumpinator, but am I crazy to prefer the sound of the samples made without the thumpinator in the demo?

16. sratas

sratas

I plan to use my thumpinator on recordings.
    It's quite usual to cut lowest frequencies, sometimes till 70-80 hz, because for psycoacoustic reasons, our brain tends to fill the gap and the overall mix cleans up in a surprising way. The bass sounds more forceful and punchy too.
    Sometimes, daws do not perform a sufficient task with the subsonic content and removing it from the sources (single tracks), should allow for an improved maximization....let's see.
    Obviously, i plan to use it live with my band.
    Just placed the order, waiting time

17. Andrew__Scott

Andrew__Scott

+1

18. sratas

sratas

No, you are not,
    I even prefer the full bandwidt in the lows of a song with no hpf, BUT, and it' a great but, only in distinct situations. Usually, with a proper hpf the overall tone of a song or mix is far better. Mixed with other instruments the hpf cleans up things, allows for a perceived extra room between instruments and sounds, every sound is rendered as more unadulterated and masked, a lot easier to the ear and the common listener, the bass itself gains distinct boundaries and therefore its energy is perceived neat and forceful.
    If i have to mix a tune for clubs with proper designed systems (with subs dedicated and aimed at reproducing the lowest part if the spectrum), i can leave the earthquaking mud, many folks like it in the stomach. But, for many other applications, ipod, headphones, car....better to hipass, speakers do not perform a good job down there

19. Hypocrite

Hypocrite

This may be a stupid question, but despite all my reading I still can't figure out what the Thumpinator does that cutting everything below 30hz on an EQ doesn't?

20. sratas

sratas

Maybe max [sfx], could chime in and give its perspective on this question. Myself, i do a lot of studio wirk behind the desk and always found software management of frequencies to sound unnatural and unpredictable, especially when you have to apply major cuts or bumps at the lowest or highest portion of the spectrum . I guess that with a well conceived analog curcuit things could be more predictable. The only thing that would have sold me more on this type of unit is a user adjustable frequency point. For example, 30hz affects subsonic, useless and troublesome mud, and this is great, but a second option setted at 70-75hz could be a major help when tracking in the studio. Cutting fundamental frequencies on a bass when mixing is a widespread psycoacoustic trick, the perceived tone of the bass is even deeper and a lot more forceful and clear.

21. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

What kind of EQ? Can you be specific?