1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

[sfx] user appreciation society

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassbrad, Sep 12, 2011.

1. bassbrad

bassbrad

[sfx] Users unite
    The usual TB Clubs are just not classy enough for Max's special creations.
    No secret handshake just an appreciation for Max's goodies.
    What do you have, what do you say?

Have you looked inside? Talk about class: printed custom circuit board, artistic layout, top quality components, bundled wires with all the solder points shrink wrapped. We're talking attention to detail you just don't see outside of high end hi-fidelity, military or NASA spec work here.

http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/mainpage.asp?page=custom_shop
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Agreed 100%. I still use the original Thumpinator as a permanent part of my rig. The only time I ever consider replacing it is when I think about ordering another custom [sfx] piece (preamp/EQ) that contains a Thumpinator.
  3. RichardFoggo

RichardFoggo

oh yeah! I have a micro thumpinator and micro-fuzz. My next SFX target is a micro-red dragon. I have flirted with some custom build but have never quite got the funds together.
  4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Wizardry! Supporting Member

I'd love to get a few of his dirtboxes, and one day a custom along the lines of that Burninator Fuzz/Phase he done.
  5. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    Very high quality builds and I like the small form factor with the power connector on the *top*!!!! The video on the microthumpinator looks very convincing.

[sfx] micro-Thumpinator - YouTube
  6. rratajski

rratajski

Disclosures:
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Own and love my micro thumpinator. Gives me peace of mind in babying my gear!
    Superb quality!
  7. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

Consider me interested in the micro-thumpinator. If I'm to understand this correctly, it should allow me to get at least a little more volume out of my cab without worrying about blowing it to kingdom come? Not that I need the volume but I hate seeing my speakers look like they're working hard.

A few quick questions though. When you say it gets rid of string thump were not talking about the audible thump you hear when your thumping a string, right? Lastly, where would be the best place for this on my board? Right before the amp or directly after the bass itself?
  8. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

I'm a satisfied owner of [sfx] gear (Micro Thumpinator and micro H.)

Max makes some great products :hyper:
  9. bassbrad

bassbrad

Thumpinator is on my list for sure and i am totally digging the AY2. Dunno how many he's done but it is a spectacular pedal enhancing the tones of all my basses and the internal build quality is the best work I have seen in a pedal.
  10. RichardFoggo

RichardFoggo

read the comments attached to Max's description and the TB thread in which Max speaks! Talks exactly about the "thump" and reassures that you dont lose it, at least to good "thump". Most people try it to see where it works best, first or last in the chain.

[sfx]:micro-thumpinator

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/sfx-thumpinator-micro-687269/
  11. bongomania

Disclosures:
    What it does is it removes the part of the thump that isn't "useful". In each thump there's a subsonic spike that can do a lot of damage, without being part of the lows we want to hear.

The total package for speaker protection includes using the normal EQ on your amp to boost the "good lows" (like from 60 to 200 Hz, broadly) and turn down the lows below that. Again, this is in the context of a wide bandwidth, medium-shallow slope, like a typical amp EQ. What the amp's EQ can't do is surgically remove 100% of the useless subharmonic thump, without also killing all the good lows. So the Thumpinator does that job, and allows you to use a more shallow cut of the lows on your amp. This balancing act allows you to have a little more confidence that any EQ adjustments you make are on the "useful" part of your sound.

The other bonus is those subharmonic spikes eat up a lot of wattage, so if you have a lot of thumping, it can reduce the amount of power in the rest of the notes during those momentary surges. Eliminating the subharmonics ensures that only audible notes get power.

It's a tool for fine-tuning the performance of your amp.
  12. DosiYanarchy

DosiYanarchy

Long time lover of max's work, he's had alot of money from me in the past and not one single regret, the man is excellent at what he does and I'm definitely going to get a micro thumpinator.
  13. kevteop

kevteop

I'm still using my SFX 'Loop Logic' - an LS-2 replacement with a stomp for each channel that Max designed for me. It's the only thing on my board that is in my signal path 100% of the time, it's a great transparent line driver too.
  14. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX Supporting Member

15. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

Looks like I'm gonna get me a thumpinator at some point. Damn you all for having me spend more money on my pedal board ;).

I am interested in more info on where you guys put yours (before or after the pedal board). Between my envelope filters and octavers I'm wondering if it would be best for it to go after so it can quell the havoc that those effects wreak on the deep low-end.
  16. rratajski

rratajski

Disclosures:
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    2.5 weeks from payment to my door from the UK to the US. Very sweet!
  17. bongomania

Disclosures:
    It's important to clarify that the Thumpinator won't do anything to the signal in the audible range, so any havoc occurring there will need to be quelled in some other way.
  18. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

I have been seriously considering getting a Thumpinator or a Micro Thumpinator just to help my speakers cope with my rather 'headstrong' playing style

Is there a difference between the two other than the housing?
  19. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

I actually don't know about the frequency ranges affected by either pedal I just assumed that both can have a not so good affect on the sub-sonic range.
  20. bgmww

bgmww

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Hiwatt UK
    I will get a Thumpinator in the near future....