1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

SG Bass Neck Angle...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Eddienias, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Eddienias

Eddienias

Hi, I'm building an SG Bass for a friend and I'm beginning to get a bit desperate... I can't any reference to the neck angle anywhere!

I could just make it up and design it however I want, but I'd rather have it to the same spec as an original.

Does anyone out there have a (30.5") short scale SG Bass with a set neck that they could measure for me please, I'd be eternally grateful?!

Thanks, Eddie.

ps. Failing that, a really good side-on picture of one would help me to figure it out.
  2. Reticle

Reticle

I don't know if the basses are anything like the guitars, but SG's were known for having WIDELY varying neck angles. I would suggest just deciding how high you want the bridge to be and go from there.
  3. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

In general, it depends on the bridge you plan on using, so design from that.

However, here's a photo from Gibson's website of the Midtown bass from the side - the SG is very similar in design and geometry:

[​IMG]

I'm going to guess it's around 2 degrees.
  4. Beej

Beej

I've also seen an EB bass have no neck angle and a fretboard that sits 3/8" off the body...