1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

SG into Bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MEKer, Jan 15, 2013.

1. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

I have a chance to pick up an old, beat up SG guitar copy. Always have loved the whole SG thang. Now, I am wondering how smart it would be to change the nut and bridge and turn it into a 4-stringer with light strings? I'd probably have to put blade pups in it (DiMarzio) to avoid pole issues. Whaddaya think?

2. Meddle

Meddle

Sure try it out. The intonation would be right off I think, but that in itself is not enough of a reason not to have an experiment!

3. dalkowski

dalkowski

What about giving it a baritone/Bass VI treatment? Yeah! With a Bigsby on it! Yeah!

Whatever you do, have fun!

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

You can't just move the bridge to allow for longer bass strings. You could make it 4 strings but with out changing the neck you would be stuck with a 24 3/4 scale length.

I guess you could make it fretless and put the bridge wherever you wan't but your fret markers wouldn't line up, and would probably be confusing to play due to the existing fret markers being in the wrong place.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

Hmmm-bad problem. I was thinking of stringing it with baritone strings. Still too long though, eh?