SGD Lutherie Help.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Barr Plays Bass, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Barr Plays Bass

Barr Plays Bass

Hello, I was wondering if anyone here has had successful business with David Schwabb of SGD Lutherie Please get back to me!:)
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

No complaints here. Awesome pickups.
  3. Barr Plays Bass

Barr Plays Bass

And With all due respect May I ask for proof? just to make sure you aren't just saying that? i understand if not. also, may I ask what Ohms did your pots have on em?
  4. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

There is no doubt that David makes awesome pickups. Take the wait time with a grain of salt. You will get them.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    OP, just do a search on sgd and you will see several recent threads detailing exactly what to expect from doing business with him. Be sure to look at the dates of the threads, and the amount of time covered, and any patterns that can be seen over time.
  7. Toptube

Toptube

A.There are two very large threads here on SGD. One about his products in various stages of design. Also includes several sound clips by him and some customers. As well as many product impressions by customers.

B.there is also another thread specifically about his service. I will let that thread speak for itself.

Both of those threads often stay on the first two pages of the pickups forum.

Additionally, it seems like you may be a new/potential customer. SGD is very friendly and I'm sure he would answer via PM or email any questions you may have about starting an order.
  8. mmbongo

I've covered my custom SGD's several times, no real need to post it all again.

I use 500k pots.
  9. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

Yes, you have.

Barr, you're a brand-new forum member here. There are several good search tools at your fingertips. You can find a wealth of information that way. I know I have.
  10. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I too have gotten my order (MM 2 band preamp) from him, rather quickly. I don't know what you're looking for in terms of proof...
  11. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy

I hope this guy isn't Steve 'DUDE' Barr. Yeeesh.
  12. Barr Plays Bass

Barr Plays Bass

Oh No, I got my part from him too. but I had hell getting it from him and he lied to me several times about sending it, but I checked the order and saw he never sent anything.
    I did actually get the part and preamp I ordered I just wanted to know if anyone else had issues with him.
  13. Barr Plays Bass

Barr Plays Bass

Also one more thing I'd like to ask, did anyone else have issues with the pots off his harness he's made? I ordered mine but I haven't gotten around to wiring it all up because I don't have a decent soldering iron I know I should be the one checking it, And I'm not trying to raise hell about him either. Just new to this kind of stuff
  14. mmbongo

So you got what you ordered, what's the problem? Sounds like you haven't done this before, what kind of issue do you have with the pots?
  15. Barr Plays Bass

Barr Plays Bass

Yes I have received what I ordered, and long story short I'm new to this, But. I was informed of several people saying these were just pickups out of a old 100 Buck bass you know? And Since He lied several times about sending the part and only send it cause we threatened legal action. I was wondering if someone actually had one of the Labeled laser etched pickups that said SGD, As for the pots on it it was a 100K 25K and 1M for Volume treble and bass. And pretty much wanted to know if anyone had problems with it working because when I go out to buy the new soldering iron I was going to buynew pots.
  16. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy

1) He quit using the laser etched covers a good while back.

2) Why do you think you need new pots? Did you damage them trying to install the preamp?
  17. mmbongo

Those people would be complete morons. Quit that band pronto.
  18. Barr Plays Bass

Barr Plays Bass

I was just curious because I'm looking to become a luth and go to school when I gather the money, And from what I researched and asked from several people, they say 25K and 100K are a bit low. Inform me please?
  19. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

20. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Back up for a second...pot values are basically decided by what a user wants to hear (like 250K vs 500K) or the type of pickups/preamp that you're using. With the values you're talking about, I'm guessing you've got active pickups?

What equipment did you order? That would make things a lot easier.

Whoever you're getting this info from doesn't seem like they know what they're talking about.
  21. oerk

oerk

For a passive circuit, yes. For a preamp, no.