1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

SGD or Delano?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sublab, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Sublab

Sublab

I'm swapping out the standard pups on my American Precision for a more modern and open sounding pickup. I've narrowed the options down to these two. I've played Delano pickups before and they sounded very good, but not the ones below. I have never tried SGD before. Can anyone make a comparison? For the moment I'm thinking SGD would be better still than Delano, maybe a more fat and aggressive modern tone. But that's nothing more than assumption from what I've read regarding these pups. Any idea's?

Delano: PC4 HE/M2

SGD: ND3-P4 (P Bass size) Quad Coil pickup
  2. MysticMichael

MysticMichael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Although you're very unlikely to find anyone who just happens to have tried both these specific makes/models, I can at least offer an informed speculation that either choice would be a very, very good one. :cool:

I own two instruments with the SGD N3s (soapbar form), and love them for their deep, phat, thick, yet clear, modern whoomp! From what I've read about the Delano (from two other users who have posted their impressions), that one should also deliver "deep, phat, thick, yet clear, modern whoomp", but perhaps sound a bit less refined than the SGDs, with a little more aggressive, MusicMan-style punch - as per the huge, 9.5mm pole pieces. For that reason, I'd bet that the Delano would be just devastating for playing hard rock or metal. :bassist:

MM
  3. Sublab

Sublab

Wow, it thought it would've been the other way around!

Thanks, I'll look into the Delano's some more now!
  4. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

That particular Delano pickup is going to come VERY close to a Stingray sound. If that's what you want, then I would say go get it. I tried the 5-string version several years ago, and enjoyed its punchy, clear tone. It handled the low notes like few other pickups, yet still had a great midrange and treble.

On the other hand, the SGD pickups are known for more of a natural and neutral presentation of the wood, strings and frets (if any). They can be aggressive or modest depending on how you play them.

Try both? :)
  5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Get them both and sell me the one you don't like. I'll you offer 60% of the new price. :)
  6. Sublab

Sublab

It's going to be ze Germans. Will post a review soon!
  7. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Did you receive your delano pc4 he?

Any reviews or comments.

Thanks
  8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I'd like to point out that my P4 pickup is switchable between three tones. One sounds similar to a P, thick but with a clearer top end, one sounds similar to a narrower single coil like a J, and the other is very similar to a Musicman.

But either one you choose should be good. :D