1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

SGD pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by redboy1975, Dec 26, 2013.

1. redboy1975

redboy1975

Ok , so my SGD pickup arrived and I was wondering how many ways I could wire it ? I'm building my own bass , it's a 5 string fretless with a single pickup. ( ND3-BC5 ) . Because I only have one pickup I need to get as much out of it as I can .wiring is kind of beyond my comfort zone so if anyone is willing to help or knows of any sites that have good wiring diagrams please let me know . Thanks !
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

They usually come with a wiring diagram showing how to wire it to a mini toggle switch, did yours come with that?
  3. redboy1975

redboy1975

Yes it came with a wiring diagram but honestly it's Greek to me . I hate to ask David for help , he really needs to be working on catching up his back orders . So I guess I'm looking for a better diagram of how I can get the most out if a single pickup without a preamp .
  4. line6man

line6man

If it is a single coil, there is only one way to wire it.
    If it is a split coil, there are four ways to wire it. Series in-phase, series out-of-phase, parallel in-phase and parallel out-of-phase.
    If it is a dual coil that is not split, there are six ways to wire it. Series in-phase, series out-of-phase, parallel in-phase, parallel out-of-phase, north coil and south coil.
  5. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

If I recall, David's Neobuckers are four-conductor pickups, two wires for each coil, which would mean that you could wire them to a mini-toggle to do series/parallel/single coil combinations. That plus a passive tone control would be pretty flexible while avoiding the use of an active preamp.
  6. redboy1975

redboy1975

Yes it's a four conductor pickup . I'm not sure how many controls I can have running passive with a single pickup . I would like a volume , tone obviously but can I have some type of blend . I plan on having series / parallel capability so I'll need a mini toggle right ? I was going to buy three Bourne 500K premium pots and a Bourne DPDT mini toggle . Now to wire that .... LOL !
  7. line6man

line6man

In addition to series/parallel, single coil switching, and phase inversion, you can have a passive tone control, capacitance selection switching, fixed LPF, HPF, bandpass or bandstop switching, HPF, bandpass or bandstop controls, and a killswitch.

Though that is not to say that you should choose these options. Some have drawbacks and functionality issues, and as usual, less is more with controls.
  8. Rob22315

Rob22315

If you just want to get your bass up and running with minimal fuss, connect the two coils in series. You didn't say if your bass was passive or active but with one pickup, the wiring should be simple - connect to either a volume pot (passive) or an input to the preamp (active).

bestbassgear has all kinds of manufacturer wiring diagrams. Dimarzio has a bunch that address one pickup setups.

Folks here could help you more if you let us know about the rest of the setup and posted a few photographs. Active or passive? What controls? Location of pickup (bridge vs neck)? Desired tone or style of music? What amp/cab?
  9. redboy1975

redboy1975

I checked Dimarzio out last night and there was some good info on there . I've decided I'm going to run a volume and a tone and that's it , keep it simple . But if your still interested in my bass specs here ya go . 5 string fretless , ebony fingerboard , 34" scale Black Walnut 5 pc. neck with two maple laminates , body is 1.75" Zebrawood , single SGD ND3 -BC5 pickup in bridge position , I want nothing to do with vintage tone !
  10. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Using push pull pots would minimize holes and negate need for toggle switches unless you prefer them .
  11. redboy1975

redboy1975

No I really dislike push pull pots . For cosmetics only , I just wanted three knobs but I guess it's going to be two . I was going to put a toggle for switching from series to parallel but decided not to based on everyone saying parallel sounds thin . Tone and volume it is then. !
  12. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

I had my custom SGD ND3-40 setup in series mode, on my fretless bass. Tried it parallel but was too bright when paired with a Dymondwood fingerboard. Running a Bartolini quad coil in series at the moment and I think I just prefer this sound more, though the SGD pickup is very good. Didn't think a switching option would've given me much unless I had 2 installed and could pick coils from both to add together.

Am going to end up selling it, I think.