Shadow pickup - cable loosening

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by gajatko, Aug 8, 2013.

1. gajatko

gajatko

Hello

I have got a Shadow SH 950 pickup. I am satisfied with an output signal and the post isn't really related to the sound.

The problem is that the pickup cable is mounted to a tailpiece. The mounting itself is ok, but an ending of a cable is glued to a tape, which is attached to a tailpiece. Unfortunately the ending unsticks from a tape and a whole thing starts to clatter while playing due to vibrations, which is VERY bad if it happens in the middle of a gig (it did, actually). I don't know how to precisely describe it in english, hopefully some user of this pickup will understand what i mean.

[​IMG]

So, how to stick the ending of a cable to a tailpiece reliably?

Thanks,
    Jacek.
  2. eub_player

eub_player

Disclosures:
    Formerly known as Francois Blais...
    You could buy a little clamp at an hardware store and hold the jack the same way the Upton rev Solo:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. gajatko

gajatko

Thanks for a response. Did you have to remove a string to do this?
  4. josiah goldfish

josiah goldfish

I think so, yes.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. eub_player

eub_player

Disclosures:
    Formerly known as Francois Blais...
    Yes, the G string in this case.
  7. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

I once got the prototype of the SH-950 after the original tester sold it.

At that time they used a full metal 3,5mm plug at the end of the pickup cable and a guitar belt knob jack that has a 3,5mm jack on one side and a standard 6,3mm jack on the other. They put it together with a cable binder into a plastic tube to hold the jack adapter and the cable binder together and the cable binder goes through the outer string holes in the tailpiece. I had to resolder the cable shielding at the piezo to the metal twice and at least once at the 3.5mm jack, but after over 25 years it still works.

What they sell today seem really cheap for the jack end compared to that, but the method Francis recommended is a good idea. You might want to use a piece of rubber (from a bike inner tube?) between the clamp and the jack to avoid slipping.
  8. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Chief Low-Frequency Facilitator, Gollihur Music LLC
    You can also get (along with that wire clamp that Francois pictured) a nylon bolt/nut/washer combo to avoid having to remove a string; it'll cost you about $1.50 at most, I'd think, and be much more easy to deal with. We include a jack mount "kit" like that with the Ehrlund and Krivo pickups we sell.

[​IMG]
  9. gajatko

gajatko

Thank you for helpful reponses, I am going to visit a hardware store then. I like the eub_player's solution as it is least invasive (I don't have to bore a hole in a tailpiece or even use an adhesive).

The worst thing about a jack end in this pickup is that it is not oval. A consequence is obvious -- there is less friction between the jack end and a tube. Never ever buy a non-oval jack end.

Cheers!
  10. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

I use that exact pickup, and I remounted it in the same way the underwood pickup attaches to a tailpiece. Its very easy to do and it works absolutely great(looks great too). All you do is take a short length of clear PVC tubing that you can buy at a hardware store. Cut it so that its sized right for the jack and stick a plastic tie through the tube, then put the tube over the jack. You can then use the tie to attach the jack through the tailpiece string holes.
  11. AMJBASS

Here is a picture of the underwood so you can see what I am talking about. Another tip that works well... put the cut pvc tube in boiling water for a few seconds to soften it. Dry it quickly and it will slip over the jack much easier.

Attached Files:

12. gajatko

gajatko

@AMJBASS. I don't get how can it be done. I tried to follow your instructions and end up with a... well, see a photo. I have marked the tie and a rubber tube I added.
    [​IMG]
    It is impossible to attach it unless a jack was put in a weird position. :meh:
  13. gajatko

gajatko

As you can see, the back of my tailpiece is curved so there is no way to put it horizontally.
    Wait a moment... on WHICH SIDE of a tailplace did you put the jack??
  14. AMJBASS

On top of the tailpiece horizontally. The tie goes through the E and G string holes
  15. AMJBASS

Here is a picture(different pickup, same deal though)...

Attached Files:

16. gajatko

gajatko

That was a critical info. I mounted the thing on the back of a tailpiece before, mainly to hide it from my classical teacher. Whatever, now it doesn't clutter. It is a way more important.

Thank you fellow bassists :)