1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Shar extension... any experiences?

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by csrund, Nov 1, 2012.

1. csrund

csrund

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
  3. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    The KC Strings Extension will Fit any bass. There is a channel on it so you can adjust and intonate the stops to make sure they are in tune with your bass. Its made out of brass and is pretty durable. I have played on a few of the extensions and they seem great.

The down side gets into the argument that they weight 2.5 pounds and that can change the sound of your instrument, positively or negatively.

They say you need to put a 2.5 pound c-clamp on your headstock and see if things start to rawk or not.

The only concern you need to take into account beyond that is measure to make sure that one will fit on your bass, and the scroll wont need cutting. Thats nasty stuff yo.

Im getting one soon.
  4. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

In my experience, Shar doesn't seem to carry many quality bass accessories/instruments. If you've ever been to their shop and played the 2-3 basses they have there you'd question the quality of anything they offer bass-wise- if you want a good extension, I'd look elsewhere.
  5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    I made the same observation at Shar too. It's a safe bet that Shar is re-selling the KC Strings extension.
  6. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Sorry to be reviving an old thread, but did anyone ever try it?
  7. csrund

csrund

I called Shar about it many months ago. They told me that it was cancelled and not offered, even though I observed it still posted on their website (and indeed, it is still listed as of this date).

I opted for the KC Strings gated extension, which I had installed by my local luthier. I posted a detailed product review here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f236/product-review-kc-strings-gated-extension-1020779/

Purchase price is comparable to the one listed on the Shar site. Your mileage may vary as far as cost of installation goes; depends on your luthier.

I love the KC Strings extension. Rock solid, trouble-free, and a lot of fun drawing out those pipe organ tones in the section.

Hope this helps,

Chris