Share your nickname!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Salamenster, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Salamenster

Salamenster

Hi,

Let me explain this thread:

Some people in bands get nicknames, so why not let the world know yours, if you have any of course.

And if you like, please explain why you were given that nickname...

I'll start. My nickname in my band is Napoleon, because I'm not the tallest, I'm from French descent far away and when it's cold, one of my muscles in my arm contract a bit (I thinks it's because of an operation I had), so I take the famous 'risen hand on stomach' pose without noticing it. :D

Who's next?
  2. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

My last name is Stewart so a lot of people call me Stewie.
  3. nickrs540

nickrs540

My country band calls me Nick Sharp Instead of my actual last name. I don't mind it. It came about because I'd show up to practice in my work clothes (Button down shirt tucked in with slacks). My singer said "you always look so sharp at practice" so it stuck.
  4. TheMightyWoot1

TheMightyWoot1

My last name is Wootton, so that's what my friends call me. But last night, they were joking about calling me "milliseconds" since we were talking about latency.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jason weatherby

jason weatherby Supporting Member

TOG - The Old Guy, no explanation needed.....
  7. hailet

hailet

My name was pretty obvious. I was Tommy BoomBoom Haile. I'm very old school so I liked a deeper tone than bassists use today.
  8. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

Mickey-G. A night club owner started calling me that back in the 80's and it just stuck.
  9. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Media:
    Big Green Willy.
  10. open strings

open strings

Mert (Short for Marty)

Got it from a music friend, who is called Kid Flushboy.
  11. Chico16

Chico16

In my band, I'm the youngest. I'm only 19, the oldest just turned 38 and the youngest before me is 26. So when I first joined my nickname was "The Boy" they would usually make fun of me constantly (all in good fun though) for my age and in one occasion, we were negotiating a contract for a gig in which my vocalist asked for a free beer tab, and apple juice... However I worked my way up with my bass, I'm now Chico instead of the boy and I'm no longer discriminated for my young age :D Hahaha
  12. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    Finn, Clyde, Thunderthumbs
  13. collins81

collins81

I have had many ;)

Tiny- for obvious reasons. I got this when I first started playing bass in 2000. I was in a 3 piece cover band and the biggest guy in the band.
    :D
    Big Hoss- for obvious reason. My current guitarist calls me this. I tell him he is 182.4lbs of killer puppy so I guess I can handle this one. :bassist:

A**hole- well if you read between the lines on this one, then I should stop typing now. :bag:
  14. beerman_5000

beerman_5000

Beerman 5000, which also serves as my TB handle, was given to me while in a college ska band. Our trumpet player was intoxicated and knew that I was a homebrewer so he gave me the nickname. We even stenciled it onto my GK stack.
  15. chicharra9

chicharra9

o.k, so you´re still the boy, but now they call you that in spanish, Great!!!! :D
  16. almightycrunch

almightycrunch

I got the nickname at a bar we were playing at up in Tower Mn. This drunk guy comes up to me sometime in the night, and goes, " hey Grizz!!!! how are you doing man??? its been a long time!!!!" Im like, "Ummmmmm I dont know who you are, and my name isnt Grizz" He swore up and down tha the knew me and that my name was grizz. So, thats all it took, the ADHD drummer we had thought it was the funniest thing he ever heard, and the rest is history, I'll forever be known as Grizz.
  17. Gaius46

Gaius46

No nicknames - at least none that don't begin with expletives.

At gigs I'm various introduced as "The Big Man" and "Mister"
  18. Big_Fat_Dynamo

Big_Fat_Dynamo Supporting Member

Unfortunately... Hot Karl
    My name is Karl and for some reason an artist I play for started calling me that called me that to pretty much every musician in town and now thats what I am known as.
    Would be a cool nickname if not for urban dictionary :mad:
  19. almightycrunch

almightycrunch

Our sound engineer was nicknamed by his former employer, another sound engineer, who our soundguy learned his craft from. He had always been referred to as "stu" for as many years as I had know who he was(he's actually an extremely talented sound engineer). Come to find out that this name is Dave, and that "Stu" was short for stupid. I dont know how many times I, and everyone else I knew had called him "Stu" thinking that was really his name. LOL
  20. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I have two nicknames the first is Hoss. Got that when working at the House of Guitars in '76. A co worker pissed me off so I threw him into the flap truck (truck that came by and picked up all the card board) The name stuck. My other is GOT (Godofthunder) GOT sounds like Scott so I get called that often.
  21. floridagatorfan

floridagatorfan

I am introduced at gigs as Justin bass face Johnson