1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  2. Search results may return 0 or few results. We are currently rebuilding the search index, may take a couple hours. Thank you for your patience!

Sharing experience with Dunlop Nickel Wounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jay2U, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks Supporting Member

After having used flatwounds on both my basses for a long time, I came across these Dunlop nickel wounds.
    [​IMG]
    I bought them and installed them on my G&L L2000. They produce a very rich fundamental tone with less harmonics.
    I'm rather curious how they'll sound after breaking in. Does anyone have long term experience with these strings?

2. raybone

raybone

I have had a set of these on my am std P for almost 2 years now. Its not my main player but it has seen its share of gig/practice time. Im not too sure how long it really took for the strings to break in, but overall I like them on the P. They had a little zing the first couple times played, but that is long gone Mellow and smooth on the fingers now. They are probably almost dead , kind of sounds a bit like flats.

Btw, i put a set of them on my L2500 and took them off right away. I always used steel on the L2500, i felt i lost too much attack and power that I like about the l2500 when the dunlops were on. I also tried DR Sunbeams on the L2500 and i like them even less, so its probably just the L2500/nickel string combo that i dont like.

3. Jay2U

Thank for sharing. My experience with the Dunlops comes from the other side of the spectrum. I'm very used to the flatwound sound, so the Dunlops are 'pretty round' to me. :D

4. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

They are very warm fresh out of the box. Warmer than other brands. A good transition option from flats. They darken quickly with use.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jay2U

Me playing one to two hours a day will soon reveal how they darken. That is, if I don't touch the flatwound strung Ibby for a while.

7. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

I use these on my every-day bass. They tend to last several months before they are too dead for my tastes. I find them a fine brand, especially for the price.

8. Jay2U

Now that you mention, they certainly are fairly priced. So now let's see how long they last...

9. BassLife77

BassLife77

dead right out the pack. I was shocked. Dunlop sent me 2 free SS packs and they were dead too. the sound wasn't balanced either, the low-mids were too loud

10. fearceol

fearceol

I tried one set. While they were not dead out of the box, they died within a week.

I wont be using them again anytime soon. :meh:

11. Jbassrockboy

Jbassrockboy

Good strings and need to change them regularly but that's rounds