Shawn May Custom Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chump stain, Apr 9, 2009.

1. chump stain

chump stain

I just found out about this guy. The pics on his website, and myspace page are awesome! And the best part is, he's local (to me).
    One of my bass heroes is having him build a custom, Tye Zamora of Alien Ant Farm! A few people here know Tye has some pretty nice basses.
    Also, after doing a search, I noticed at least 1 talkbasser has a May Custom. Can anyone vouch for the quality, sound, playablillity, and price? I emailed Shawn with a rough idea of a bass I would like, to try and get a ball park figure. Still waiting to hear back.

check it out!
    http://www.maycustombasses.com
    http://www.myspace.com/maycustombasses
  2. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

I seen the work first hand

Quality, he spends a lot of time on each bass. Builds them "custom" to what you like to my understanding at least with pups, number of strings, spacing..he has made a lot of different designs, wood combinations etc. Very nice work, people seem to really like them because he builds them to what you like. Plus he's a cool cat!
  3. Seag1508

Seag1508

I saw a local MI band Called "I Love Dinosaurs" whose bass player had a May bass and I can say that it was a pretty instrument. In look and in sound. the guy knows Shawn personally so they are way smaller of a band then you would expect to have such a nice ( and expensive) instrument. That thing absolutely held the sound together.
  4. billostech

billostech

I just received my DCS5 Canphor Burl yesterday.
    Can't say enough about the sound and build quality. I have 2 Alembics and this bass holds its own among them. I had Ken Smith style pickups installed with D'addario flats. The crazy thing is it can go from mellow to funk in high fashion with the flats installed.
    Awesome experience with the build too. Shawn is an easy guy to work with. Shawn values customer service without compromising the final product.
    You can check out the pics I have from the build here:
    Shawn May Custom pictures by billostech - Photobucket
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lostrings

lostrings Supporting Member

I owned the first bass built by Shawn. The build quality was outstanding, as was the playability and tone.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. billostech

billostech

Nice. Real Nice...
    I notice you said "owned". I remember hearing the story about this one.
  8. maybass77

maybass77 swm

You know, i NEVER heard that bass!
  9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Is this the same guy who was a manager at GC in Canton MI?

If so I know him, and he is a really nice guy who can build a nice bass and he is a really good player as well.
  10. billostech

billostech

This new custom bass is as versatile as a line6 Variax. The wide range of tones is vast. It will have its debut in the next Open Mike I attend this week. From mellow to monster by the turn of the dial and flick of the switch.
  11. billostech

billostech

12. lostrings

That bass is stunning...Love the inlay.
  13. _Sasquatch_

_Sasquatch_

He just finished a bass for me this year. His number 18. Quality and sound is unmatched!
    [​IMG]
  14. exidor

exidor

Shawn is a class act,when I get the cash(prices vary due to what you want)and can make up my mind It's going to be a May custom bass for me.I've had the honor to see in progress and play a couple of his works,just unreal!!
  15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Media:
    Look forward to trying one of them out, there is a local cat around here that has one.
  16. billostech

billostech

You all have real nice basses!!!
    I have the specs. I think it's Number 21:

DCS5
    Top: Camphor Burl
    Back: Camphor Burl
    Core: Eastern Flame Maple
    Neck: Eastern Flame Maple / Purpleheart
    Fretboard: Gabon Ebony
    Headstock Veneer: Camphor Burl
    Truss Rod Cover: Camphor Burl
    Pickups: Kent Armstrong Dual Coils w/ Camphor Burl & Maple Covers
    Preamp: Aguilar OBP3SK 3 Band
    Inlay: Custom Cross
    Bridge: Hipshot A Style
    Tuning Keys: Hipshot Ultralite
    Strap Buttons: Dunlop Flushmount

Also came with a Monocase M80
  17. born2lift

born2lift

My best friend owns #8, the Buckeye Burl. Just went to see his band last weekend. His May Custom sounded awesome. If I remember correctly, he paid about $1600.00 to have it made. WELL worth the money. Plays and sounds as good as my '93 Warwick Thumb N/T 6 string, and weighs a lot less. You can't go wrong wit a May Custom Bass.

Funny, I was visiting Guitar Center in Canton Michigan the day that Tye Zamora was picking up his May bass. I was more of a guitar player then and didn't realize who he was until the next day when my buddy told me about Tye being there. I did stop and watch him as he jammed on it. He seemed very pleased with it. Had a huge smile on his face.

I know Shawn from shopping there over the years. Awesome person and one hell of a player.
  18. gnarkill

gnarkill Supporting Member

Here are a few pics of my May Custom. Shawn is saying somewhere around the end of summer for a finish date.

Top and back- claro walnut burl
    Core-koa
    Neck-black walnut, bloodwood

ForumRunner_20120527_175559.png

ForumRunner_20120527_175622.png

9_imagejpeg952.jpg

10_imagejpeg952.jpg
  19. lostrings

20. gnarkill

gnarkill Supporting Member

Thank you, I,ll post again after I have another handful of them.
  21. jazz3625tonic

jazz3625tonic

Does anybody know how to contact him. I can't find a phone number on his website. I tried to send a email on his contact page but it does not work.... seems like the parts of his website are a bit wacky.