1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Shen SB-100 Replacement Tuner Cog Screw?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Nate74, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

I noticed Saturday night that one of my tuners wasn't holding tune very well. I then noticed the flat head screw that holds the cog on was missing. I found a M5 metric screw at the ACE hardware the next morning which is holding for now, but I'm wondering where I might find a replacement?

I found these at Upton, but that's all my google-fu has been able to turn up so far and these don't look the same nor do they say if they're 5mm.

http://www.uptonbass.com/rubner-tuning-machine-replacement-screw/

I emailed the US distributor for Shen basses, but I'm not holding my breath...

Any ideas where I might find one?

Thanks.

2. turf3

turf3

McMaster-Carr or Metric and Multistandard Components.

3. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Why not PM John Sprague here on TB? He should be able to help you.

4. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

John actually replied to me email within about 25 minutes of me sending it this morning. Got back from a couple meetings and there he was in my inbox offering to help. I didn't really expect customer service like that but man, I'll sure take it :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

BTW - any reason not to use some 'red' locktite (removable kind) on those screws to avoid this in the future?

7. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

DON'T USE RED! The red is, for all intents and purposes, permanent; the blue (Loctite #242) is the removable type.

8. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

Gotcha. I have a tube of the removable kind which oddly enough is in a red tube, but yes the liquid itself is blue. thanks!

9. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Disclosures:
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hey gents, a couple things on those screws.

If you lose one, email me a pic of both machines on that side so I can match it, with your home address. I'll pop one in the mail to you.

Blue Loctite is fine but not required, and use just a tiny bit on there.

Adjustment: the common error is to over-tighten, causing jumpiness. Think like installing an oil filter: bring the screw down so it makes contact, then 1/4 turn. That's the first thing to check for any issue with our machines, from jumpiness to rattling.

Nate, it's in the mail! Don't forget to check the tension on the other three while you're at it. Thanks for getting in touch.

10. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

John, what's the preferred method for curing rattling Shen machines? Mine occasionally rattle at specific frequencies, and the screws seem to be tightened appropriately. The best fix I've found so far is detuning slightly and bringing the string back up to pitch.

11. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Disclosures:
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    The common things we see are:
    1. The screw (above)
    2. The thumb piece getting slightly loose. A drop of super-glue on each side, and for extra measure if you're handy a gentle squeeze of the shaft ears with soft nose pliers (optional).

That machine's karma is all about the screw tension. Too loose, it all rattles. Too tight, and the shaft won't turn, do some rattling, and then pop free. Too tight, and excess stress on the thumb tab connection causes the joint to open enough to rattle.

I hope this helps! Feel free to call your luthier or myself if you need more assistance.

12. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

{salutes}

As always, you go above and beyond. Very much obliged!

13. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

Absolutely! Just got back from a business trip and in with the bills and junk mail was the screw for my tuner. Can't say enough about this kind of service. :) :) :)