1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Shen sb-100

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by iplaydabass, Feb 23, 2014.

1. iplaydabass

iplaydabass

Hey guys so I just got a new shen sb-100 gamba style bass with a few upgrades (kutz endpin, red label strings, and a new carbon fibre bow with black hair) I was wondering how long this bass will get me? (I'm a freshman in high school) will it get me through college? And a c extension? Nicer strings? Sorry about all my questions just needing to know.also I purchased it from robertson and sons violin shop in Albuquerque. Thanks 😀🎶
  2. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

It may get you through some of college but there will be a point where it will hold you back.

DO NOT put an extension on this bass, it will not do much for the sound, and the cost will overshadow what you payed for initially.

The strings should be fine for a while, especially if you are a beginner, just focus on the instrument and learning it, not getting caught up in the extras.

There are going to be a few people on here who know me, and know I asked the same things. I've grown a lot musically and after the hard work I put in, I am getting into that stuff. Give it time and don't worry about it till you hit ~10,000 hours of practice logged :D
  3. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Hoped that helped
  4. iplaydabass

iplaydabass

Thanks so much that helped a lot!
  5. TroyK

TroyK Supporting Member

Play it like you own it! (because you do)

Enjoy that bass.
  6. Mgaisbacher

Mgaisbacher

Mostly just going to say I agree with what NicholasF said. Just focus on playing and don't worry about strings and gear unless you feel it is holding you back in some way. I played drums for a few years before I even picked up the bass and I got too worried about gear and the more time you worry about gear the less you are actually playing music.

I have been playing bass for about two years (so I am still new to the instrument) now and I feel I am a better bass player then I was a drummer after playing five years. And the only time I worried about strings or anything like that was when I really felt that I couldn't get the bass to feel or sound the way I wanted it too.

Also depending on what type of music you are playing that bass may last the rest of your life or you may outgrown the sound in a year it all depends on what you want to do. For example if you are playing mostly bluegrass at festivals then a ply bass is the accepted sound and fits the music well but if you want to play in s orchestra or study classical music then a ply probably won't work well. I am currently a student at Berklee and students here have anything from engleharts to $30,000 vintage basses and everything in-between.

Focus on playing for now, gear is only there to get you closer to the bass sound in your head, and until you have a great idea of that I wouldn't worry about it, I'm still searching for mine so until I do find it I am not worry too much about it.
  7. Champagne

Champagne

I don't believe you. Post a picture and I will!:p
  8. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Congrats! That sounds like a bass that should easily get you through high school. But if possible, you will probably want to upgrade to at least a hybrid if you decide to start auditioning for music schools.