Shep on Bass - Interviews about effects!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pantherairsoft, Apr 9, 2012.

1. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe, GigRig, COG Effects
    Hey folks,

Over the coming months I'll be publishing a number of interviews on my website & blog. These interviews are all with people that have either highly discussed (in the world of internet forums) or very interesting effects/pedal board set ups and cover musicians from not so well known to world famous. I currently have some VERY exciting musicians on board for the first five or six and hope to publish on interview, along with pics of the gear and listening references every fortnight.

It is not exclusive to bassists (though 'most' of the folk involved at the moment are bass players) and I do have a couple of guitarist's (who's set ups interest me) already on board. I am hoping to also be able to bring you a few interviews with boutique pedal builders as part of this series as well (waiting/hoping to hear back from the first of the pedal builders now).

Anyway... I thought I'd start a thread (as the interviews are all effects-based) and post the links here each time I publish one so they can all be kept in one place. I am hoping this will be a great resource on how people use gear in different ways etc. If you have suggestions about anyone you'd like to see interviews (though 'some' of the 'big boys' are far less attainable) then drop me a message and I'll see what I can do (if you are a pedal builder with products that are commercially available then get in touch also!!)...

So without further ado, here is interview number 1 - Bassist of Submotion Orchestra and Talk Bass member, Chris Hargreaves.

Shep on Bass - Interviews: Chris 'Fatty' Hargreaves

[​IMG]

Cheers for reading!

Shep

2. alec

alec

Nice work Shep and Fatty!

For anyone who doesn't know, Chris Hargreaves is TBer fattybassman as in live dubstep

3. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Disclosures:
    Thanks dude.

The core of questions will remain the same between interviews in order to see how different people approach the same/similar things in different ways, then a few questions will be pointed specifically at parts of that persons set up.

I've currently got another 7 (4 bassists and 3 guitarists) on board ranging from people you may not of heard of (particuarly if you are outside of the UK) to people that EVERYONE has heard of.

Excited to get these out to everyone.

4. peddles

peddles

love this, keep it up!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Disclosures:
    Thanks peddles - really appreciate the compliment.

I'm hoping that as more interviews get published, more muso's and builders will see who has already spoken up and want to get involved.

7. bassbrad

bassbrad

Thanx for Sharing Shep & Fatty, always interesting to see others creativity with bass and electronix.
    You are creating sounds that are expanding the imagination on what bass can do.

8. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Disclosures:
    Very kind of you dude.
    I've already received some follow up questions for Chris as well regarding his comments about using Ableton as a live performance tool. Hopefully I can nail him down and add these to the comments below the interview...

Another interview dropping next week sometime! :)

9. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Disclosures:
  10. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    This is GREAT, Shep! Thanks for the effort and good writing!

11. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Disclosures:
    It's the cool folk that agree to take there time out to answer my questions that you should thank!

Appreciate people taking the time to read these. Share the link on facebook etc etc... :)

12. metalinthenight

metalinthenight

This is so awesome. Keep it up!

Question: are most/all of the bassist you are to be interviewing from the hiphop/live dubstep genre or is there a broader focus in mind? Either way would be super cool, btw.

13. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Disclosures:
    Hi,

There is a broader focus.

I started within the electronica genre as it is one I am familiar with, but also one where 'most' musicians have an interesting effects set up. I have managed to branch out though... It's also one that I had existing contacts in.

We have a little heavy rock and some prog/experimental in the pipeline already. Many of the main stream guys with big set ups are hard to tie down, but I've had some results :) A fair portion will be electronica-esque to start though.

We have a couple of guitarists coming up as well... Purely because they have wicked setups and only one is involved in the electronic thing...

I am all ears for other suggestions... Particularly if you can put us in touch! :)

Shep

14. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Disclosures:
    Anyone ready for another interview...?

15. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Disclosures:
    In that case...

I give you Oli Montez...

Shep on Bass - Interviews: Oli Montez

[​IMG]

Oli is part of UK prog/ambient/noise outfit, Aulos.

The 1st thing you may notice is that Oli is a guitarist (plus a bit of synth!) but he fulfils the role of the guitar, bass, keys and general noise as part of a live set. These interviews are all about effects and if there is one thing Oli does well... it's effects!!!

Enjoy.

16. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Disclosures:
    Another? HELL YES!

I give you...

Antony Wright

Shep on Bass - Interview: Anthony Wright

[​IMG]

Ant is the low end man from Leeds noise crew, Castrovalva, who have been making a serious splash on the UK music scene for a while with their fusion of sounds, which includes blending Rock & Metal tones with flavours of Dubstep & Grime.

For those of you that also but Basschat.co.uk, you may also know him as regular forum user 'Ant' :)

17. Yurtra

Yurtra

These interviews are really sweet. Definitely picking up Aulos' EP.

Thanks Shep!

18. peddles

peddles

This is my favorite one by far, I fell in love with Aulos instantly. Can't thank ya enough for introducing me to these guys!

19. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Disclosures:
    Pleasure guys. Thanks for reading.

The fact that I do instrumental stuff means that we are in the unique position to play not only club nights with DJ's etc, but also at 'instrumental/prog' style gigs. While we don't exactly fit the genre, audiences seem to lap it up. Importantly it means I get exposed to playin with bands that tend to have interesting set ups. I have a few more underground (but successful) UK act interviews still to come as well!

Share the link on Facebook etc... Spread the love :)

20. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Disclosures:
    Time for another interview.

This time it is the pedal genius that is Max Greco of sfx sound.

Shep on Bass - Interview: Max Greco/sfx sound

[​IMG]

Max is becoming a household name around these parts and some of his designs and solutions to musicians problems are really astounding. I was really keen to get Max to do one of these little interviews as he has helped me by designing gear for my needs and I consider him to be in the elite of pedal builders. Thankfully, he said yes!

Enjoy!

Shep

21. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Another great article! Well done, Shep! You just inspired me to make a custom build inquiry...