1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Shipped Amplifier DOA

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dieseldan, Jan 2, 2014.

1. dieseldan

dieseldan Supporting Member

This is mostly me crying into my beer, but would appreciate some feedback.

Ordered a Peavey Century 200 Bass Series from goodwill just before Christmas. Looked immaculate (except for the cord) in the photos and was an okay price (not okay after shipping). Since I had been looking for the 400 series for the last three years I figured I couldn't pass up this chance at the next best thing. To sum up events, holiday season caused it to get here tonight and come to find it doesn't work. The amp powers up, but with something rattling around inside and a new fashionable crack on the face, it does not produce sound.

The first reason for posting this sob story is to hear any opinions on whether I should return the amp without hope of the $50 in shipping to be refunded? Or try to fix her up, even with a cracked faceplate?

The second is for you to add your own similar stories of disappointment. :bawl:

Sorry moderators, wasn't sure of proper location.

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

I have always understood GoodWill as a "As is/where is" type thing? If there is new damage that you can prove after proper packing then that may help with repairs from the carrier.
    Do you know it functioned properly before shipping.
    Bottom line fix it or keep it for spare parts later.

3. dieseldan

Whether it works or not is irrelevant, as you said, but the crack on the face plate is new. A reasonable return perhaps? The damage kind of erased the aesthetic appeal, but would like to fix it up.

4. hsech

hsech It's my opinion and I'm sticking with it. Gold Supporting Member

You may have to consider it a donation to GoodWill. Aren't they Non-Profit?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

I feel your pain. When it comes to amps and cabs I've bought, UPS has damaged 3 out of 6. I'm stuck in the process of filing a claim right now.

7. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Seconded.

After a quick look for obvious faults, I'd probably donate it forward as well.

Something rolling inside sounds like a PS capacitor, they tend to broke their legs if not glued or zip-tied onto the PCB.
    I've repaired a few Peaveys (and other budget amps) that had such a thing happened.

The face plate pics I found on Google looks suspiciously like the Peavey (guitar amp) that was the proverbial straw that broke the just as proverbial camels back for me as far as anything Peavey goes.

I've had my share of relapses as any DIYholic does when offered free gear, but even those days are (hopefully ;)) behind me.

IIRC even as early as in the late 80's, the output transistors or some other critical components were impossible to find feasibly. At least over here.
    We had the crappiest of the crappy importers of Peavey then though.

Regards
    Sam

8. dieseldan

That would be some good karma for the new year. They have education centers for different careers which I believe are funded by sales.

That is a pain. They should let you keep the damaged goods. Have only shipped one before this and it turned out perfect, so I was hopeful. Filing a claim takes to much time and pictures, hence my questioning of the whole process.

I was hoping the rolling sound to be the power cord piece missing from the back, but your diagnosis sounds much more viable.

The face plates are so.... Peavey. Kind of like the knobs and neck plate on a T-40, which look amazing in my humble opinion.

This would have me AMPED to do a repair, if the face plate wasn't cracked now. The statement you made about the scarcity of parts doesn't help either. Still up in the air.

9. B-string

Maybe time to open it up and check for any serious damage? If it won't take that much to repair, you don't play looks anyway?

10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Buying something that someone has donated to Goodwill will always be risky. As Mr B opines, grumpy though he may be, Pulling the chassis is something anyone can do to find what is loose. Make sure the amp is disconnected from the mains and wait for a couple of hours to allow any voltages to drain.

11. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

UPS, FedEx, USPS? They have a concealed damage claim that can be filled out when things like this happen. UPS shipping includes $150 in insurance, too. USPS is worst, with zero insurance, AFAIK. I try not to use FedEx because they're too expensive, so I don't remember what they include.

12. dieseldan

I am going to open it up after clearing up the shipping claim.

Goodwill is risky, but usually are good about disclosing parts moving around inside. Which leaves me to believe shipping was the problem. Good to know about letting it sit, never worried about that before.

UPS and Goodwill's site states that they will complete all procedures for filing claims, so I am letting them take care of those steps. But you are right about FedEx being to expensive, especially packing items for you (precision bass + hard case = .25% of sale price).

13. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin

As the shipper this last time around, I'm 100% unimpressed with UPS. The amp was in great working condition when it left and it was in a wooden crate. I don't know what kind of fall UPS subjects things to, but it would have taken several feet of free-fall to do the damage that amp suffered. It isn't a delicate piece of equipment, either. I paid for insurance, and now UPS is playing games. I don't have much in the way of good words for those clowns.

14. dieseldan

That is almost impressive that they broke the wooden crate. But to try and deny liability for such an obvious mistake is even more surprising. Have you been successful with other couriers?

15. dieseldan

Opened up the amp after negotiating for a week with the insurance.

T-Bird you were correct about the leg of a capacitor breaking, it is the larger grey one in the middle. However, I was correct about the cord piece making the rolling sound. :spit:

Now to look for a replacement 1000uf 50v capacitor :help:

Attached Files:

16. B-string

17. dieseldan